SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kenandbea

David Liddle Canadian order

kenandbea
15 years ago

Hi All

Looks like it is almost spring for many of us. Yeahhh I have spring fever real bad this year:)

I am going to be placing a group spring order for more Hoya cuttings from David Liddle in Australia. He has a wonderful selection of Hoyas most of us haven't even heard of. This is a great way to get some new ones into Canada. By doing the group order we all share in the extra cost of shipping and phyto certificate. I already have the import permit so no worries there.

Many of you joined in the last couple of years so if you are interested again let me know by email. Everyone is welcome to join in even new people.

Bea

email me here by changing the at to the sign.

kenandbea at shaw.ca

Comments (88)

• hills
    15 years ago

My lacunosa and DS-70 are not easy bloomers... I almost killed both my lacunosas and they now seem to be coming back, sat on the heat mat with baggies round them, definitely a humidity-loving plant - perhaps that's why they work so well for you guys!

I would reccomend multiflora/javanica as another easy one, HOWEVER, don't order this from David Liddle - it's very thin leaved and is unlikely to make it from Australia! My parents keep asking me for cuttings of "the yellow-flowered one" - I finally figured this was multiflora/javanica!!!

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sandy... That little Holliana is a pretty ones. We both had it but I lost mine as I had it in too large of a pot. If I had a smaller pot it would have likely made.Learning curve:) All of those I agree would be good choices.

Mike... awe yes Paul has some nice ones too. He has a red flower Lancunosa that I think would be fun.At least I think it was him. He also has some awesome impatiens:)

Bea

• Related Discussions

Hoya's from David Liddle Canadian order

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi everyone Just wanted to give you a head's up and let you know that I have posted over in the Hoya forum about doing a group order for more of David's hoyas. If you are interested please come over there and join in. Thanks Bea
    ...See More

Hoya cuttings from David Liddle

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks Mike That is probably another good place however you still need a permit and phyto certificate. Think I will stay with David for now anyway as I have it in process. Have had a very good response. We will be placing a nice sized order thus keep the fees to a minimum for each of us. Bea
    ...See More

David Liddle Spring 2009 order for the US

Q

Comments (15)
    I just received the catalogue!! I will post the link which will take you the the posting on Stemma...as soon as Mark has made it public. DL said he just finished last night so it is "hot off the press". For those who wish to order: 1. Place your order with DL directly prior to March 1. 2. In the subject line type **SRQHoyas** 3. Also send me a copy of your order from your personal email) to my personal email orchider66@msn.com so I have a record of your order 'just in case'. Include in you email to me your mailing address, the forum you're responding from, your screen name and your speed of shipping prefered (USPS Priority, USPS Express Mail). Refer to the USPS website for estimated shipping times from 34241. 4. When I recieve the email of your order, I will let you know how much postage you need to send to me so everything will be prepaid. If I somehow over-charge you...I will refund the difference. 5. I will give you the option to add a heat pack to your box...for an extra $2.00 (my cost). 6. When I recieve the package from DL...I will soak the cuttings overnight, per Carol's suggestion, and ship them the next day using the service you prepaid for. Within a week after you get the cuttings you should have roots and new growth...right? Please contact me thru my private email and not thru the forums...that will make it easier for me to manage issues and information. I am determined to make this a success!!! Joni
    ...See More

David Liddle/Iris Marie Order

Q

Comments (2)
    I hope Iris Marie will carry on with the part of the business that keeps us in rare Hoya cuttings. Does anyone know if their son is also involved in the business? I imagine it's going to be a pretty big operation to run without David, but if Adair is part of it, that should help... Denise in Omaha
    ...See More
  • klyde
    15 years ago

Ooohhhh a red lacunosa? Wonder if I'd have as much luck with that one as I do my white one...

Can anyone tell me about H. sipitangensis?

Kelly

ps. Thanks for the tips everyone...

• sandy731
    15 years ago

I ordered sipitangensis last year. It was basically DOA. I think the stem had one leaf left on it. Needless to say I was rather disappointed. I think it might be one that doesn't travel so well because it has thin stems. Maybe it was just bad luck though....other people might have had better luck. The other one I lost last year was retusa....again one with rather thin stems. I'm not trying to discourage you...just putting in my 2 cents.

Sandy

• klyde
    15 years ago

Well that is good to know...I just like it cuz the pictures remind me of lacunosa. I'm a lacunosa fan these days. Wish DL had some with different color flowers...

Can anyone tell me anything about H. obscura (either one from DL (0234 and 1003)? Size, leaves, flowers, tempermentality...

• sandy731
    15 years ago

I love the leaves on lacunosa and am attracted to hoyas that are advertised as similar. I think that's why I wanted sipitangensis. I would recommend walliniana. It has similar leaves and bloomed a year after I got it. Here's a picture.
    {{gwi:940171}}
    I have obscura IML1003. I've had it for almost 2 years. It hasn't grown very much yet but seems fairly easy to grow. It doesn't have reddish leaves...probably not getting as much sun as it needs. It hasn't bloomed yet.

Sandy

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

I have the Hoya lacanosa Borneo from Paul Shirley although I labeled mine as Hoya walliana, not sure if that is right or not. Bea I can't remember if I traded some of that plant with you or not. Mine bloomed a little while ago and is currently maturing three peduncles full of buds. This Hoya sp. is larger than Hoya lacanosa and the flowers are more numerous and held in a more upright position but without the strong scent of lacanosa.

I did get some Impatiens sp. from Paul Shirley as well but I only have one left from those, victims of lack of water due to a two week camping trip.

For anyone who is trying to lean what different Hoya species look like or what type of flowers they will have it is good to familiarize yourself with the different Hoya sections. The online Stemma Journal Vol. 2 #3 is a good place to start as it covers the Acanthostemma section species like DS- 70 and the Otostemma section sp. like Hoya lacanosa, obscura and sipitangensis.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Stemma

• hills
    15 years ago

Red Hoya lacunosa? Is that the lacunosa 'Tove'? Mine's just started to grow again, and I'd forgotten how lovely the new red leaves look. Now I know what it likes, I hope I can get a flower off it this year... cross my fingers!

• kellyknits
    15 years ago

Sandy-
    That picture is SPECTACULAR!!!
    USA Kelly

• orkidlady
    15 years ago

Thank you for the list Bea!!! Appreciate it!

I have picked 12 of the miniature ones...will see if there are any I have that you don't but looks quite extensive....

This is a list ofthe ones that David sent me:

Hoya bella
    Hoya engleriana
    Hoya lacunosa
    Hoya lanceolata
    Hoya linearis
    Hoya pauciflora
    Hoya serpens
    Hoya bilobata
    Hoya curtisii
    Hoya dickasoniana
    Hoya halophila
    Hoya leytensis
    Hoya picta
    Hoya pusilla.

Now I can hardly wait for them to come...thanks Bea for organizing these and the work you put into getting them to us.

Joanne

• sandy731
    15 years ago

Thanks Kelly.

Sandy

• oldflowergirl
    15 years ago

Yes, a shout out to Bea... Thanks for the opportunity! :D

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys/gals have been busy.

Sandy Love your photo. How beautiful is that one. Is this the same one Paul labels as H. lancunosa Borneo? I have it and now can't wait for it to bloom.

Mike... Love your photo too. I have the lancunosa borneo but not sure if I got it from you or Paul.I usually put the persons name as a source on the label but only have Pauls numbers on it. I take it has now been identified as H. Walliana I ordered several Hoyas from him last summer along with many of his impatiens. Unfortunately the impatiens didn't make the trip. Not his fault the post office took over 2 weeks to get here. The Hoyas were fine but not the impatiens.

Hills... I am not sure which one is the red one. Paul had it listed last year but I don't see it this year. I didn't get it though I wish I had.

Bea

• sandy731
    15 years ago

Thanks Bea. I have no idea if it's the same one Paul labels as H. lancunosa Borneo, as I have never ordered from him and haven't really looked at his website much. I got it 2 years ago from David Liddle and it's listed as H. aff. walliniana IML0232 and the catalog says it's from Kuching, Borneo, so I guess it could be. I also guess that means that it's not actually walliana....just looks like it. I wonder if Paul's that has now been identified as H. walliniana is the real thing. Very interesting!...I think you've opened up a can of worms here Bea. lol

Sandy

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oldflowergirl.... You are more than welcome. It is a great opportunity for all of us and if not for you guys I wouldn't be able to order on my own. By sharing the extra fees it makes it so affordable for all of us so it is a win win.
    My thanks go out to all of you who are joing in. I appreciate it.
    Joanne... You have picked some really nice ones.I haven't seen a few of them so I am keen to see them when they arrive:)

Is it just me? Everytime I try and post twice to this group I get a failed message. The first post will go through but not a second one.It is like I am only allowed one a day:)Today all the graphics are wonky too.

Bea

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

The Hoya lacanosa Borneo from Paul Shirley is not necessarily Hoya lacanosa or Hoya walliniana as it has never been properly identified. I labeled my plant as Hoya walliniana which perhaps was a mistake so Hoya sp. aff walliniana would be a better name to use. To the best of my knowledge there is no red Hoya lacanosa other than Hoya lacanosa 'Tove' which has pinkish flowers if grown in bright light. There are several Hoyas form the same section listed on the price list that have red or yellow flowers or a combination of colours as well as lacanose leaves. IML 0057 from Sabah Borneo has red flowers and is similar to Hoya sp Rundum and Hoya bicknellii has yellowish flowers with a red corona.

Sandy I guess the two plants could be the same species but from different collection sites so they may be slightly different in certain respects.

Mike

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mike.... That helps but I do think Sandy is right I have opened a can of worms:) I will add the H. sp aff walliana to my label but will keep all of Paul's numbers there too.
    Hoyas change names often at times so it is probably best to keep all the information intact until we get the word from the Hoya gods:))

Thanks Mike

Bea

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone

I have been in touch with David and he is going to start shipping sometime soon as the plants are hardening off nicely. I am thinking that it would be good to ship for us about the end of April. That is when we got them last year and it worked out just fine for all.

So with that in mind could everyone please try and get your orders in by the 15th as a cut off date. That way we won't be to far down in the line-up. Several of you have already put your orders in and that's great. A couple of you are like me still deciding:) Actually I am good to go now too.

Thanks.... I will keep you posted as we go along when I hear from David for the shipping date.

Bea

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

I was looking at one of my books last night and I noticed that Hoya cagayanensis is the newly accepted name for Hoya pimenteliana. Hoya cagayanensis is listed for $7 if anyone is still interested in that species.

Mike

• shoiley
    15 years ago

Hi Bea, I will try to finalize and send you a list by Tuesday.

Shirley

• nova12
    15 years ago

Oh noooo, is it too late to get in . What is the deadline to join?? I loved doing it last year. Let me know.

tracy

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike... Thanks for the tips. Can I ask which book you found it in? Always good to have some good books for reference.

Shirley..... That sounds good! Enjoy picking your fav's:)

Tracy...... Yeah another one onboard. I see you an e-mail catalogue attached. It was so much fun last year and here we are again...just love getting new hoyas:)

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!

Bea

• gootziecat
    15 years ago

Hey Y'all,
    It looks like I missed this deal. Darn! I'm looking for H.cagayanensis. Does anyone have cuttings or know where I can get it reasonably priced?
    Thanks.
    gootziecat

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Bea the book was The Genus Hoya from Botanova, it's a good book with very nice photos of foliage and flowers.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: The Genus Hoya

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone

Great News!!!!!

Kookie is in OZ as she mentioned at the begining of this thread. She was going on a holiday and would be picking up her own cuttings. Lucky Lady!
    I just got word from David that she is there and he is putting the paper work together for our order while she is there. Sounds like she is going to help him do our cuttings!! That would be a trip to die for wouldn't it?
    I have asked for photos so we can all see. I would especially like to see a photo of David and Iris with the Hoya iris marie which is named after David's wife.

Kookie if you are reading this we want lots of photos!!!!
    not sure if she has internet.

At any rate get your potting supplies ready as it sounds like they are moving on orders now. I will keep you posted:)

Mike that book sounds good, I will have to look for it. A photo says a so much at least for me it does. If it has some nice photos that is very helpful.

I was just reading that Christine Burton is getting closer to finishing her book. That should be a wonderful reference. She is such a stickler for accuracy and detail you just have to know it will be a reliable reference too.

I am getting so excited about all of our new hoya's. This is so much fun and I am glad that we could all do this together again.

Bea

• wheatgrl
    15 years ago

Sounds great! I am getting my stuff ready to start potting.

Trish

• klyde
    15 years ago

Hey there Hoyanista's: Questions abound. I'm about to recieve my first DL order (at least I hope he has what I'm pining for). You can imagine how excited I am. Take yourselves back to your first order, that's where I am right now. I want to do this right. I've rooted many times before, and now I'm questioning my abilities. Can you all talk me through your rooting techniques? Medium, lighting, rooting hormone yes or no, baggie yes or no...leave nothing out because I am a detail person. I would sure appreciate direction...

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Hi Bea,
    Any news from David about when our order will be shipping. I know I'm dying from excitement. I'm sure the others are too!

Trish

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi gang

I have some news. David tells me he has had a delay because of getting appointments with the inspection crew. As soon as they resume he will too.We are next in line when he does ship again.

Guess what!!! If it all comes together and that is still if.... Kookie might bring our box of cuttings home with her. She will take them with her on her trip home and hand deliver them to customs to be release all in one day, not the usual sit and wait at customs or slower delivery through the couriers.The cuttings usually land at LA and then move to the border to await their release so this could really speed it up. The other big plus is a real savings on shipping for all of us. A couple of things have to time out right for this to happen but it could be a possibility. Yeaaah for Kookie... what a wonderful lady to consider this for us.

Either way no matter how it works out we are next in line to get all of our babies home to Canada:)

Bea

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kelly... You will do fine rooting your hoyas! You have done it before and you will again:)I remember the apprehension well and now I wonder whay I bothered giving it a second thought.

I use the baggie method. I simply pot them up into my potting mix water them in and put a zip lock bag over the top for the next 4 to 6 weeks. I rarely have to water again , not much anyway, until I remove the bag. At about the 4 week mark you will see new growth then you will know they have taken root. I open the bag from time to time to let in fresh air. When it is time to remove the bag I open it a little at first and then more each day to get them used to lower humidity. I don't put them in a window as they will bake in there like a sauna. The down side is that you get some small arial roots starting on the stem but I don't worry about them. They dry up and fall off in no time at all. That's about it.

How do others do their???

Bea

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

I started chopping everything up during the winter experimenting for this order. I have tried half perlite half potting soil in a sealed ziploc with holes poked in. Great success but some rot. I now have many more H. kerrii that was old with stems the size of my finger and quite woody. I also used the Hydroton (clay pellets) in the same baggie method with 100% success. I prefer this method. While all are not under lights, I did have them all on heat mats.

Trish

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Heads Up Everyone!

I just heard from Kookie and it looks like our hoyas will be heading here this weekend. Yeaaahh !

Could everyone please e-mail with their address. I will be able to have labels printed and boxes ready for when they arrive.
    Thanks

Trish... that is funny. I can see you with scissors in hand. That was a clever idea, and a great way to have so many more plants.

Another method I heard of is using sand. I think that would work well too.

Bea

• klyde
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tips about rooting. I recieved a few cuttings in the mail the other day, and just lost my nerve all of a sudden.

Great news about the DL order. Wonderful if the cuttings don't have to sit in a box for too long.

Kelly

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Now it's really getting exciting as we're even closer to getting them. Better than Christmas for sure. I hope we post lots of pictures of the different cuttings. I am curious about about what they will all look like.

It felt good to chop some of those little buggers up. Especially the ones that have been ticking me off! And interesting seeing what wood roots easier etc. All in all, they root easily. I was surprised.

Trish

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Hi Bea,

It's the weekend (pretty much)! Any word yet?

Trish

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't had a confirmation but I do know that Kookie is leaving Oz today and will have our box inhand to bring with her. Kookie if you see this later "A great Big THANKS" for being so sweet and bringing all of our hoya babies home. We are all really looking forward to them.They won't be traveling very long and we will all save on shipping. Your so very kind!

She will post them to me once she has landed and caught her breath. I would expect by midweek I will be repacking them to get to you. There is a good chance you will have them next weekend if all goes well.

It is definately like Christmas. I am so looking forward to the new ones I can hardly contain myself:)

Kelly has volunteered to come over and help me repack them. Kelly lives in Victoria too not far from me. It is so much fun seeing all the cuttings. We all see photos online and read descriptions but seeing them in person is really neat. I am often surprised about how dainty or how large a leaf is on some of them. Somehow I never have a full picture in my mind until I get to see all the ones that you guys order too. It is so much fun.

Be prepared... they should be on their way.

Bea

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

I havent gotten anything on how much to pay or when? Will we receive an email or something ??

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Awesome Bea! I would love to see that box being unpacked. It's going to be a fun weekend when they arrive.

Trish

• oldflowergirl
    14 years ago

Oh Wow! I don't know Kookie, but a big thank you from me too.

When you have it figured out, Bea, let us know and we'll send your money right away.

How exciting...maybe next week....gotta get containers ready. :D

• k0okie
    14 years ago

Hello everyone!

Home safe and your plants are on their way to Bea. Mine are a little sore looking, Im guessing from the less then gentle luggage people at the airport. But they are all ok over all, just a few bent leaves.

They said they would be with Bea by Tuesday for sure.

Glad to be home but I miss it already!

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kookie... there you are. Thankyou so very much for all your efforts and kindness in bringing our Hoya babies home. I am sure you must have jet lag right now but when you catch up we all want to see what it looks like over in Hoya Land.
    I think it is about 18 hours ahead of us time wise. You must have your days and nights mixed up:) Take care and get rested.

Thanks again!!!

Bea

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Kookie,

Thanks so much so doing this for us all! It must have been a great trip and I can"t wait to see the pictures also. Have a good rest!!

Trish

• sandy731
    14 years ago

Kookie,

Thank you very much for bringing our hoya cuttings back with you. That was very kind.

It must have been awesome to spend time at David Liddle's nursery. I hope you took pictures and will share some with us.

Sandy

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Woooo Hoooooo...

I have been in Hoya heaven all after noon. You guessed it the big box arrived this afternoon.

Kookie...... Thankyou once again. The Hoya's look amazing. I have done this for a few years now and these looked the best traveled hoya cuttings yet. You brought them home in record time so they look wonderful! Seriously the colors were brighter, less dehydrating, they really looked good.

I did give them a soak while assembling rather getting the right size of box to match each order together and then we started. Thankyou Kelly! it was so much fun doing it together as it really speeds thing up. You should have seen us we had a real system going. I would read them off and Kelly would tick them on the list. I would pack them and Kelly was wrapping the boxes. By the time I had the next bunch ready she was back to get the next one. We couldn't help ourselves though.. I kept saying Kelly.. you have got to see this one... oh and this one:)))
    We were a real team and had so much fun.

I did get them all to the post office and have tracking numbers that I will send individually later. I suspect that some of you may get the package before I get the e-mails done:) The post office said they would all be at their new homes in one to three days tops.

I am going to try and add some photos as I took photos of each group just before I repacked them. I have had trouble though posting on this list. It will take my first post and then won't let me post a second time until the next day. Not sure what is up with that. Anyway I will do my best to get them posted here.
    Hmm just hit the preview button and I can't find away to post the photos. Someone Please help what do I do to get them posted?

Enjoy!

Bea

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It didn't work:( Posting photos that is.

Could someone please help step me through it. Please and Thanks

Bea

• golden_ca_2000
    14 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your hard work on delivering and processing the hoyas!
    In order to post a photo - Bea, Open a account with Photobucket.com
    download your photo on photo bucket
    then click on the photo you want to post and click on the HTML code and a little yellow box should come up copied
    then come over here and right click paste and the HTML code will come up - click on the preview and thats it! Hope it works for you!

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Bea I know that sometimes you have to go to the top and change the subject line if you post more than once in a row. Other than that you could use the gallery to post the photos and link to that side or like Golden mantioned you will have to upload the photos to a site like Photobucket or Flickr to post them on this side of the forum.

Sounds like you had a blast. It must be neat seeing what everyone orders but it probably just adds to your Hoya wish list.

Mike

• wheatgrl
    14 years ago

Hey Bea,

What a great way to spend an afternoon! I can't wait to see some pictures. It will help the dedcision making for the next order also. Thanks again for doing this. And like I've said before, this is better than Christmas!

Trish

• kenandbea
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thankyou Lynn and Mike

I think I got it.

I started another thread continue from this one as it is getting long. Go here and have a look at what I posted. All of your babies should be there.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hoya/msg051144294589.html

Enjoy

Bea

• orkidlady
    14 years ago

Thank you Kookie and Bea!!! You are both good moms to look after our cuttings so well.

Joanne

Sponsored
More Discussions