SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gogirlterri

Black Walnut as a Mulch

gogirlterri
11 years ago

Rather than jump the topic of willow mulch, I've done some searching regarding Black Walnut and it's use as mulch. So I am opening a new post.
Dr. Paul Roth is Professor Emeritus, Department of Forestry, Southern Illinois University. He is quoted by Mike McGrath, 'You Bet Your Garden' 2004:
"Dr. Roth told me he never put ANY black walnut leaves in his compost pile; he saves them to use as a 'killing mulch' to get rid of unwanted plants. (Very clever! and I'll add that the chipped roots would be even more effective!)"

I fould this and more in a Garden Alive web-site.
Also available are many lists showing plants that are resistant to juglone, the killing chemical in black walnut sap. I'd also found many comments regarding bw leaves being added to the compost bin, with favorable results.

Since this is a hosta forum, and hostas are shown as not-affected by juglone, the information would seem to indicate that Dr. Roth's use of bw leaves around hostas would reduce the competition for water and nutrients by juglone sensitive weeds. This would make life easier for hosta growers.

I have followed the advice on the 'juglone-tolerant- lists' in the past and grow many plants often grown as hosta companions. Specifically with great results are daylillies and heuchera. When I'd had several hosta beds, both away from and under bw trees, the hosta, daylillies and Heucheras almost doubled in growth rate more than those not exposed to juglone.

In my search today I found a number of references to the benefit of lack of competition for water and minerals in the soil. Also much is mentioned that in composts juglone breaks down rapidlly, and in organically ammended soil (well drained soil) any negative effect of juglone is quickly and greatly lessened.

My search is hardly a detailed study, but what I'd found supports my experiences. That Dr. Roth actually utilizes the juglone bearing parts of a black walnut for weed control is pretty interesting; and contrary to the commonly seen negatives we all hear.

Before anyone goes rushing off to search for rotting walnut husks, make sure to check reputable lists of which desireable plants are sensitive to, and which are insensitive to juglone. Forsythia is insensitive and is a nice fringe companion along sunnier borders. In only a matter of weeks most of us will be thrilled by their golden yellow highlights.

I have alway considered Forsythia my spring wake-up call.
Theresa

Comments (14)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

From the Ohio State University extension service.

Horses may be affected by black walnut chips or sawdust when they are used for bedding material. Close association with walnut trees while pollen is being shed (typically in May) also produce allergic symptoms in both horses and humans. The juglone toxin occurs in the leaves, bark and wood of walnut, but these contain lower concentrations than in the roots. Juglone is poorly soluble in water and does not move very far in the soil.

Walnut leaves can be composted because the toxin breaks down when exposed to air, water and bacteria. The toxic effect can be degraded in two to four weeks. In soil, breakdown may take up to two months. Black walnut leaves may be composted separately, and the finished compost tested for toxicity by planting tomato seedlings in it. Sawdust mulch, fresh sawdust or chips from street tree prunings from black walnut are not suggested for plants sensitive to juglone, such as blueberry or other plants that are sensitive to juglone. However, composting of bark for a minimum of six months provides a safe mulch even for plants sensitive to juglone.

Link below.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Walnut toxitity to Plants, Humans and Horses

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Living with more than a few black walnut trees under which I must garden, I can testify that most native plants are not sensitive to black walnut. Which does include certain weeds: plantains, chickweed, henbit, shepherd's purse, dandelions, goldenrod, many more. Hostas seem to tolerate them, even like them. The Springfield, Mo botanical garden's hosta garden is thriving in a black walnut grove.

There are, however, many plants that will not tolerate them at all, and vegetable gardens do not do at all well within the spread of a black walnut's roots.

There are lists on Gardenweb in other forums, it is worth a search. Sometimes you may just have to experiment. But I have found that there is a wide range of plants you can grow.

Sandy

• Related Discussions

Black Walnut question as a mulch

Q

Comments (9)
    I learned the hard way to show a lot of respect, or perhaps to use a lot of caution, with black walnut. I composted the leaves and nut husks one time many years ago, mixed with a great deal of other leaves (ash, oak, maple, and black cherry mostly), grass clippings, and other plant matter. After a couple years of decomposition, the black, fluffy, crumbly compost looked terrific. And, it severely stunted a lot of things in my 110 x 100 foot vegetable garden for a couple of years. Now, the walnut leaves and husks are used as mulch UNDER THE WALNUT TREES. Now, what I can grow near or under them successfully includes pretty much anything in the compositae family -- Rudbeckia, Echinacea, Aster, Helianthus, Heliopsis, and so forth - Daylilies are OK, Iris is OK, Lilies, Lily-of-the-Valley. Astilbe and Hosta seem OK (not sure about Hosta, deer at it too fast to really tell). Sedum is OK near them. Acorus is very happy under there. Lamium, Lamiastrum, Ajuga, and English Ivy are fine, too. Yucca does OK, but its a tad shady so it doesn't bloom well. Most spring bulbs have done fine, too -- daffs, hyacinths, hyacinthoides, cammas, and tulips all do fine.
    ...See More

Walnut / Black Walnut Trees

Q

Comments (63)
    Maureen, I would recommend contacting your extension agent or local forester for more information on who you might contact for potential removal/purchasing. Trees grown in yard or farmstead settings - unless carefully managed - will likely not attract a great deal of attention from timber buyers due to potential for old nails, wire, etc that may exist under in the tree. I'm in west central WI and had 4 20"+ Black Walnuts we needed to remove last year and we couldn't give away the trees (the trees were farmstead trees/woodland bordering trees). A local timber buyer had zero interest - even in just giving them away - nor did anyone want them for wood burning. We did end up giving some chunks of the logs away to friends though who wanted some for woodworking. While I like Black Walnuts in general, I do not like them in a yard setting as a selection of other plants are not tolerant of the junglone (basically a natural herbicide of the BW) produced from the seeds, roots, and leaves. Good luck!
    ...See More

The Great Mulch Debate

Q

Comments (30)
    Much of what will work depends upon your amount of rain. In Newhall and Encino, cardboard and newspaper under anything, didn't break down except where I watered heavily. Neither area received a lot of rain in those years. Another thing I've noticed when the rainfall has been lighter, weed cloth, newspaper and cardboard have all provided EXCELLENT habitat for enormous ant colonies. All three materials seemed to afford the colonies perfect "ceilings", under which to form their habitats. There is weed cloth in this yard (inherited in the hour purchase) and everywhere it's being exposed and I begin trying to remove it, I find massive ant colonies. Fortunately, there are several sources of rather inexpensive ammonia and I have been mixing it by the bucketful to pour into areas to kill the ants. The dogs aren't attracted to the ammonia; it kills the ants and should, eventually, hopefully, break down into some form of ammonia. It only requires about a tablespoon of it per gallon to do the job.
    ...See More

Red Mulch or Black Mulch??

Q

Comments (50)
    Your beds will look sparse when you replant. Do not worry. In a few years you will wonder why you planted everything so close together. Next Spring you can fill in the holes with annuals. Builders tend to go cheap on landscaping (like everything else). You may want to buy some rotted manure or soil conditioner when you replant. Dig nice planting holes, amend the soil and water the bushes in. Plant them at the same height, not deeper.
    ...See More
  • mosswitch
    11 years ago

Living with more than a few black walnut trees under which I must garden, I can testify that most native plants are not sensitive to black walnut. Which does include certain weeds: plantains, chickweed, henbit, shepherd's purse, dandelions, goldenrod, many more. Hostas seem to tolerate them, even like them. The Springfield, Mo botanical garden's hosta garden is thriving in a black walnut grove.

There are, however, many plants that will not tolerate them at all, and vegetable gardens do not do at all well within the spread of a black walnut's roots.

There are lists on Gardenweb in other forums, it is worth a search. Sometimes you may just have to experiment. But I have found that there is a wide range of plants you can grow.

Sandy

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Sandy. If my only experience with hosta gardens exposed to juglone were in the Ozarks I would be less enthusiastic. You are in the same type of terrain where a few inches down there is hardpan. So drainage is terrible. But washoff is significant. The juglone seems to wash out of the soil well. But not enough for iintolerant plants to survive well.

I'd grown to 'hate' the black walnut trees; until I fouind my beloved hostas seemed to love them. With the leg injury Les had last year I have become more and more active again with hostas.

Steve: I have seen the same 'test' for toxicity by planting tomato seedlings,and am not in disagreement. But the results don't seem to have much meaning if I plan to have only tolerant plants. In 'Theresa's Angel Garden' dandelions do germinate but are weak rooted and easily killed with a shuffle hoe. It is not necessary to dig out the tap root to kill them. Chickweed doesn't germinate,or if it does it never gets beyond the 4 leaf stage. Plantain and clover is all around but no where near the bw. Even voles seem to avoid the area.

In the Ozarks I believe that voles are not a problem because of the hardpan. In Illinois where I live the soil is not heavy clay and instead of sand there is a lot of coal dust. The soil drains well-excellent to be honest. Away from the bw there is a bad vole problem. Under the bw not much of one.

So I am taking the position that, as a hosta lover, I have to take exception to the commonly acceopted attitude that black walnut trees and waste are evil. Of course, having never 'harvested' the roots I cannot comment.

I no longer feel a need to police the area under a bw for the dead leaves, wands, or walnut husks that squirrels drop. I would rather grow hostas under a bw than ANY maple.

I haven't found bw to create dense shade either. In the spring the 'wands' create wispy open shade and in early fall the bw drops it's leaves early. This is a great condition for hostas.

I am not a spring chicken and last year couldn't keep up with my brothers gardens in the early, record setting heat and drought. But eventually, together, we overcame the weak weed onslaught. In his maple garden things didn't fare so well, and hostas were lost.

Black Walnuts, as trees are lovely. Their fronds blow gracefully in the slightest breeze admitting brief sunrays, and their light green color is very pleasing to the eye.

They are similarto the gorgeous snow I am now viewing out of my window. It isn't the snow I curse, but the plow driver who always plows it in the same direction so in the morning I will have to level a 3-4 foot pile blocking my driveway while across the street there is nothing.

I am a strong woman, but am still a woman and moving 4 feet of wet snow is very hard on me. I tend to cry in frustration, but I have determination to perservere. A snow plown driver can't beat me down, even when i am in my 70's. LOL

I have so missed the winter wonderland I now see out my window.

Theresa

• donrawson
    11 years ago

From the information you all are providing and your firsthand experience of growing hostas under black walnut trees, I stand corrected. I think the only question left is if you would want to grow any other companion plants among your hostas that are intolerant to juglone. If so, you may want to avoid mulching with black walnut chips and bark. On the other hand, if you are satisfied with the companion plants that will tolerate the juglone, the black walnut mulch may actually be the preferred material.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i have to admit.. my eyes glazed over ...

kudos on your amazing research ...

but all i ask.. when speaking about a MULCH ... is how much active ingredient can be accumulated when applying a 2 inch cover over the soil ....

one might suggest ... that there is no way.. you could create a situation to get enough of the bad stuff.. to have a cumulative effect ...

COMPOST on the other hand.. say building a pile 8 feet all.. and letting it rot in place.. one might see the cumulative effect of the bulk ... as compared to the layer ...

it is often said.. that pine needles are acidic ... and i often say so what.. pH being an exponential function.. would require hundreds of feet of mulch.. over decades.. to make a minor change of the pH at surface level ... [as an example] .....

sooo.. when applying a MULCH ... which by definition.. is a soil covering.. i simply cant see that it can have any real noticeable effect ... but that is my gut speaking.. and frankly.. it lies to me once in a while.. lol ...

ken

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

don r: again I suggest that before using it one obtains on-line a couple of good lists by colleges etc. of juglone insensitive plants. Even then if you aren't sure you might try a small test section. In general many of the plants we use as companions to hostas are on the tolerant list. I type this with tongue in cheek but since our companion plants are shade tolerant perhaps it is their long history as under canopy existence. There are a few other trees that
    produce juglone. The black walnut just has the more powerful.

The tomato plant test Steve spoke of I'd seen as advice for people who compost bw leaves for amending soil for intolerant plants, They do stress the compost pile needs to heat up, since compost won't heat without oxygen and I think they are saying the oxygen speeds up the breakdown of the juglone. May it oxidizes it, in which case the heat will probably be a catalyst. (Are there any chemists lurking?)

Theresa
    Ken, I was typing while you were posting so I didn't see it until ater I'd posted. Thanks for the kudos.:o)
    Actually, the greatest researcher I know that is a regular here at gwhf is moc! She is awesome.
    'T'

This post was edited by gogirlterri on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 8:26

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Here's a good link, with a fairly extensive list. Very helpful. It also explains the breakdown of juglone in composted materials.

Most acids in plant material are broken down by microbes in the compost, and usually results in pretty neutral or even slightly alkaline compost, even in oak leaves. It really isn't true that oak leaves make your soil acid.

Sandy

(Edit) I see narcissus is on the intolerant list, however I have large populations of daffodils and narcissus under walnut trees that are flourishing, and have been for many years.

Here is a link that might be useful: black walnut list

This post was edited by mosswitch on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 8:42

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

It seems from this research that Black Walnut compost may not be benign.

"Since ancient times, scholars have suspected that walnuts have harmful effects on nearby plants. In the 1880s, scientists isolated a compound called juglone from the fruit of walnuts. They demonstrated that injury and sometimes death result when this phytotoxic material interacts with susceptible plants.

In addition to the fruit, juglone has also been found in the leaves, branches, and roots. The actual concentration in each part varies with the season. In spring, juglone is concentrated in the rapidly growing leaves. The amount of juglone in the roots remains relatively high throughout the summer. The concentration of juglone in the hulls of the fruit increases as the crop matures. All species of the walnut family produce juglone. Black walnuts have the highest concentrations. Relatively small amounts are found in butternut, hickory, and pecan. Most toxicity problems are caused by the black walnut.

"The sources of juglone in the soil include both living and decaying plant material. Rain droplets leach juglone from the buds, leaves, and twigs. The decomposition of plant debris by soil microorganisms also releases juglone. Living roots exude juglone into the surrounding soil." "

I also read somewhere recently that coffee grounds are another source of juglone...a little OT....as you may have come to expect.

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: Juglone data, Univ of Nebraska

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Not only black walnut, but hackberry is somewhat alleopathic. Don't know offhand what the substance is in it, but there are a variety of plants that won't grow under them.

Sandy

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jon-you frame your comments in quotations, but don't specify who or what you are quoting. From what Steve and I have pointed out bw compost certainly is not benign to all plants, and can be rendered benign through appropriate composting practices. What is the point you are making?

Sandy-many lists I have found show daffodils as tolerant, and I have also grown them successfully under bw. I plead ignorance in knowing the difference between daffodils and narcissus.

I have also found lists that show that melons and squash can be grown under bw and that the fruits are not toxic to humans or animals. It seems the toxic juglone is not stored in the fruit or plant matter other than the bw debris itself. I will say that even the slightest trace of juglone spells death to tomatoes and peppers. I have grown Canna under bw.

Most of the toxicisity of juglone, in the reports I have found comes from the roots and extend outward 1-1/2 times the height of the tree. So a 60 foot high bw intoxifies the soil in a 90 foot diamater circle from the trunk - roughly. This results in an area where many shade intolerant plants can exist.. That is why I made the comment that 'fringe' areas of a hosta bed under a bw can be useful for companion plants.

My daylillies have done wonderful under bw, and the trees, in my humble opinion, are almost perfect 'dappled-shade' because of the lacy texture of the leafy fronds. The area under a bw is definitely NOT deep shade. Even the gentlest breeze allows direct sun to penetrate but not dominate.

I have only gardened under bw, not intentionally used bw waste for mulch or compost. As Ken has pointed out, and the sources I have found support, leaching of juglone from surface debris doesn't penetrate far into the soil, but far enough to be toxic to seedlings of shallow rooted weeds and the plants themselves with shallow root systems such as tomatoes and peppers. The deep toxicity in soil comes from the bw root system.

So to me, I don't have a fear of the thought of using surface applied bw debris as mulch or in composted applications for juglone tolerant plants.
    Theresa

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Theresa, there is actually no difference. The botanical name is narcissus, and they are all narcissus but common usage has the larger flowers as daffodils and some of the smaller, older varieties are called narcissus. Poeticus, for example.

There are actually 13 divisions of narcissus, and some are classified as narcissus, jonquils, or daffodils. Confusing, huh.

Sandy

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

"Jon-you frame your comments in quotations, but don't specify who or what you are quoting." -by gogirlterri

I did have a link to the quoted source which is the University of Nebraska. Perhaps you didn't get that far.

My point was ""The sources of juglone in the soil include both living and decaying plant material. Rain droplets leach juglone from the buds, leaves, and twigs. The decomposition of plant debris by soil microorganisms also releases juglone."
    which I prefaced by saying "It seems from this research that Black Walnut compost may not be benign."

I thought my first statement spelled out the point I would try to make. The quote did have other information which I thought was interesting. I assume this additional information didn't allow a direct enough connection to make the connection to the premise I first stated. I probably should have mentioned the link in my text as well.

The study by the University of Nebraska states that the affected zone is 2 to 3 times the drip line diameter. The larger concentrations are, quite naturally, in the drip zone.

Jon

• gogirlterri
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok-gotcha!
    I have seen several sources that favor the 1.5x the drip line diameter, but some may actually be reflecting the same source. I will say that I have very successfully grown tomatoes and peppers near the 1.5x zone. This is a generallization, jon, because soil drainage vs runoff is mentioned by most garden extension reports I have read. How much surface debris is cleaned up also would increase or decrease the amount of juglone.

Have you found a report that indicates how far out from the trunk the root system extends. Surely not 3x the drip line, I would think. I have no idea. My experience gardening under a black walnut is that by about 5 feet from the trunk I have never dug deep enough to find the trees roots. The bw is supposed to have an extensive root system, but is deep rooted. IYO, wouldn't that suggest that the 3x toxic zone is more from drainoff and surface debris in poorly draining soil?

Regardless, with hostas being shallow rooted, and not subject to juglone toxicity, I can't see where the juglone, whether it be from living roots, root chips, leaves dead ir alive, nut husks or twigs need be an issue, except for certain companion plants in our hosta beds.

Is there such a thing as the black-nosed squirrel? Sure is! Every red or grey squirrel during ripened walnut season. They won't eat the hulls but have to tear it away to get to the nut. The ground under a walnut tree is virtually covered with bits of the torn off hulls which are rich with juglone.

Theresa