SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostalover67

Why aren't my hostas up yet?

hostalover67
15 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm not necessarily new here (I've been lurking here and all over GardenWeb for years), but this is my first (well, actually second) post to this forum.

I asked this question in another thread and it was suggested I start a new thread so here goes:

A question for those of you in NC... Or SC...

I am in SC, near Aiken (Zone 7b-8a). I have dozens of hostas in the ground here at our new house, and only TWO are showing eyes (Golden Tiara, I think)!!! To be honest, I am worried. Last year I had them in pots in filtered shade on the south side of the house, and I distinctly remember them being up in Feb! (They also got hit by frost).

They are now in shade, mostly on the north side of the house. The soil does feel very cool. Maybe it's just too cool for them yet?

I am afraid I killed them by covering them with (composted) horse manure. What do you all think? I really want to go out there and dig them up and find out what's going on. LOL.

Also, thanks to those who responded in the other thread! I will try to be patient and wait but it's not easy! LOL

A little additional information: I planted these hostas (most of them were in pots for 18 months, while we moved south from PA, stayed in rental housing, and then finally moved here July 2007)late last fall. In January I covered them with 3-4 inches of composted horse manure.

My experience in the past has been that hostas will emerge even when covered with 2 feet of topsoil! (I was trying to kill unwanted offspring of species hostas) And the two that are coming up seem OK...

So do you think they're OK?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES