SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
papou_gw

Keeping records of my hosta collection

papou
17 years ago

HI Hostalovers,

Collecting hostas is a lot of fun! Being an hostaholic is a lot of fun!.....going outside on a daily basis to see and admire your hosta collection is a lot of fun! I have started like anybody else by saying to myself that I would limit myself to no more than 100 different kinds...at the most.. ..then I pledged not to go beyond 300 max.... Unfortunately, I have had this 'sickness' for 5 years now and my collection presently totals 557 different named hosta varieties and a total of 880 hostas in my yard. Now that's a lot...for me anyway...being retired and not getting any younger....Beginning this year, I'm taking it more easy....

In order for me to keep and maintain control over my hosta collection, I found it necessary to organize my photos and garden sketches in files on my computer so that I would have a pretty good idea where everything is and how they have developed over the years...and are still improving in size and beauty as they mature. Using Word I have a folder for each hosta variety detailing its characteristics. I also use Excel spreadsheets listing my hosta inventory each year, entering also the size and eyes of each hosta variety on a yearly basis.

Most importantly, I am using Microsoft Access to enter pertinent information on all my hostas. This is my most effecient tool where I can obtain countless numbers of combinations and permutations. I am showing hereafter the way I have setup my hosta database hoping that this may enlighten and help other hostalovers that possess a reasonable knowledge of these software programs. You will notice that some holes have no info, so I would appreciate your help to fill in those 'holes'.

I have copied what is written above from my website where I added a new topic entitled ACCESS DATABASE - SPECIAL PROJECT 2007. There is a lot of information that may help some of you guys...especially if you are a newbie...

If interested please click on the link below. Here's an example of what you will see and read:

{{gwi:943393}}

Papou

Here is a link that might be useful: Papou's Hosta Database

Comments (24)