SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imatallun

Have you ever wanted to counsel someone at a big box store?

imatallun
15 years ago

I'm a newbie so I know there are better stories out there than mine when I want to become "Dear Abby" at the big box stores or other situations. Here's when I've wanted to intervene:

1. People buying multiple areca palms because they're good "coverage". I want to ask them to come spend some time in the heat with the areca at my house. To really form and shape those trees like some of the majestic old beautiful areca palms, you have to be obsessed, I think, and jobless. I've torn out two (due to seeds/seeds/seeds, ants, and fronds chronnically looking anemicdespite fertilizing. The third Areca is on it's way to being history. I could rant on for paragraphs about the horrors of areca, but I'll stifle myself. Horrid palm, unless you happen to luck into a nice old mature one one your property.

2. Bouganvillea. A lady had EIGHTEEN (18) big box bouganvillea to plant along her fenceline. I politely asked if she was going to plant them in pots (thanks, Gary) and she responded that she wasn't going to plant any of them herself, because there were to many, but of course she wouldn't plant them in their pots.

Even though I occasionally get obnoxious on this forum, I restrain myself in person. Do you intervene in big store lines or just wait for your turn to pay?

Comments (35)