SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Survivors of the storm

celeste/NH
12 years ago

I don't have much for daylilies left, especially after the hurricane but some roses are starting to rebloom and I do have other flowers that weren't too badly beaten up. I spent a couple of days cleaning up and couldn't post til now. Other than power being out for awhile and some limbs in the yard, I was fortunate. Living at a high elevation prevented me from getting the flooding others got. My heart aches for people in my state and neighboring Vermont who got hit hard. DH and I were just in Vermont a couple of days before the storm and were in some of the towns and over one of the covered bridges that got destroyed. We take a lot of motorcycle trips in the summer when I can get daycare for Mom. Because both NH and VT are such small states we can take day trips and cover a lot of territory. There are few places in NH and VT that we haven't been so I know all these places on the news like

the back of my hand. I am heartbroken for all the damage to such beautiful and historic places and for the people who are struggling. I feel what may be thought of as 'survivor guilt' because my power was restored quickly

and we had no damage here. I feel so sorry for so many people.

Here's some photos so I can brighten the mood...take care.

Celeste

Inner Vision, opening perfect the day after the storm

Cameo Luster's FFO came the day after and couldn't open fully

I didn't know there was one bloom left on Old King Cole

so it surprised me today

the climbing rose 'Rosarium Uetersen' survived but was a little ragged the day after

the species lily still has a couple left

Some annuals looked a little ragged but are perking up with the sunshine

perennials too (rudbeckia and sedum)

I thought 'maybe' all the rain would drown the japanese beetles, but no...they're still munching away

Zinnia

Cousin Suzanne is the one I was worried about because it had a bunch of buds that were set to open the day the storm hit. The buds were terribly waterlogged and partially open for 3 days and I figured they were goners.

I have never seen daylily blooms stay partially open for 3 days and then manage to open but this one did! It isn't perfect and the rest of the buds were ruined...but at least I got to see what it will look like. This daylily

was just now blooming so it must be a late, although listed as a midseason bloomer.

{{gwi:956970}}

What the buds looked like for 3 days of limbo after the storm

{{gwi:956971}}

Since there have been such cute kitty pictures on the forum lately, here's some pictures of mine...

FAT CAT NEMO and LILY the day of the storm, having to

stay inside the basement...looking bored

ZEUS (who is always inside anyway)

Hibiscus came through, but some stalks were broken...these

looked real pretty with the sun shining through them the day after

Froggies in my watergardens sure enjoyed all the rain!

roses 'Charlotte' and 'Quietness' with raindrops

{{gwi:214164}}

This is NOT one of the covered bridges which was destroyed

in the storm, but to show how beautiful it is here. This is the Connecticut River which seperates NH from VT. I took this on the New Hampshire side, looking toward Vermont. (Cornish, NH bridge)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor