SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyside1_gw

I couldn't resist!

sunnyside1
15 years ago

I was in Sam's Club yesterday and saw a box of 10 hosta for about $14. I tried to walk away, but...NOT. When I got them home I checked them out and most have about 1 to 2 inches of green growth. The roots are fabulous.

Since it's snowing today (really) could I put them together in a large ziplock bag full of growing medium and put them in my dark, very cool garage? We had 70+ degree temps last week, but the garage was cool.

I have a greenhouse, but the thought of potting up ten hostas with those very, very long healthy roots is daunting.

What would you do with them at this point? I'm in SW Missouri and the roses are breaking foilage but none of my hosta is showing buds at this point.

Thanks for your help!

Sunny

Comments (27)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They're out of dormancy and growing so you don't want to put them in a dark place. Pot them up and keep them inside near a window or under lights the same way people are growing their seedlings. Enjoy them now! Move them outside after your temps warm up. They'll be fine. I'd be a little worried about HVX since you don't know their origin.

-Babka

• noxtra
    15 years ago

I live in Southwest Missouri also. I have hostas potted and sitting in the coldframe and have been all Winter. Some of the early risers have eyes up about an inch already. There is no heat in the coldframes and they will stand still or grow really slow until about mid March when they will really take off. Two days of 70 degrees this week really wakes things up.......Seems like Wolverine is about the first hosta to send up eyes every Spring.

Lee

• Related Discussions

I couldn't resist!

Q

Comments (10)
    Susan - I think you are asking about Forgotten Dreams. It has been a very dependable rose for me, blooms a lot, the blooms are fragrant, the bush is very healthy, never gets blackspot. I got it from Edmunds years ago. Heirloom lists it, but I am not sure if it is available. It is not a rose that WOWS you, but it is a good one. Earlier in the season I posted a full bush shot of it on a thread I called Forgotten Dreams if you would like to see it. It is usually a med. red, but the cool temps have darkened it somewhat.
    ...See More

I couldn't resist!!!

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you, Josephine. Mine (Wheee) is unfurling now. It looks a little unbalanced but so far so good, no cold damage that I can see. *Knocks on wood* I will get pics of it this week when hopefully after this rain, it is looking a little prettier. It looks kinda weird right now. But the leaf that is completely unfurled looks good. I am so happy I didn't lose her (don't tell the others, but next to my first, the Albomarginata, Wheee is my favorite! shhhh... I love all my hostas the same! :-) )
    ...See More

I couldn't resist one more:

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi inga, you know the last few years of watching various taxonomic groups of flowering plants, like the clerodendrons and the euphorbias, I started to recognise the same or similar traits or characteristics - echos of lovliness, I guess - that are intrinsic to each group. Some, of course, you have to dispense with for various reasons, such as C. speciosum, a climber I tried with red flowers that looked good for 2 seasons but then started to come up (sucker) everywhere and I just had to pull it all out; still a bit suckering up here and there. Anyway Inga, glad you appreciate the pictures. Thank you Bill
    ...See More

Here's a set of gams I couldn't resist

Q

Comments (3)
    Earlier this evening I got an email from a friend telling me I had mis-typed the Model Number. She was right, it's Model 110-C, not 100-C. Likewise, the "Victorian" style example is identified as the Model 110 (might be 110-A or 110-B). But she also found a reasonably good photo of the grill that my heater is missing.The one in the photo has a broken area, marked by the red X's, but that is the piece I'll be looking for, probably for a long time, so if you spot one, preferably undamaged, for sale somewhere, I really would like to know. Thanks!
    ...See More
  • sunnyside1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

babka, I feel you are right about growing them on. I can put them in some large containers I was going to use outside and keep them in the cool garage where there is lots of light.

noxtra, next year I will have a cold frame. Have wanted one for years! Joplin got about 2 inches of snow but it didn't mean it and will be gone tomorrow PM, I'll bet.
    Thank you both -
    Sunny

• raye
    15 years ago

Well I wasn't gonna say anything, but since you confessed I will too! I couldn't resist either! I bought 4 boxes at Sam's which included Bressingham Blue, Northern Exposure, Twilight, Frances Williams, Twilight,Frangrant Blue, Fragrant Bouquet. Wide Brim, and Mama Mia. I also bought Karin, Minuteman, Pauls Glory and Julie Morss at Walmart. I am aware of the threat of HVX and I have potted all of these up and will definetly keep an eye on them. I realize that there is a threat but I have been buying these types for years and never have had and infected plant. Maybe I have just been lucky. I will also have to say that all of the ones that I have bought at Sam's seem to be what they are supposed to be. The ones that I bought at Walmart are questionable. The Julie Morss' that are coming up appear to be soild green and the ones that I have bought in the past were varigated like they appeared to be on the package.

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Hello! & Congratulations,
    You just purchased the MOST notorious source for H.VX. No, not Sam's club; their provider. Keep an "eye" on them, unbelievable!! The virus can take 3-5 yrs. to show signs, inbetween times the BEE'S & other INSECTS have infected your entire collection. Fact; bee's & others can transfer the disease. There are few growers that will by from this vendor, hence "sell them to Sam's, get rid of all this inventory, find someone who doesn't know about H.V.X." As consumers if we continue to buy from unreliable sources, they still have a market to sell plants. If they have a market why will or should they change? We have only begun to see this. It is a not a matter of IF it is WHEN. I need to cool down, I will give more info. later; would it do any good?

• raye
    15 years ago

Geez! Leave me a little piece to sit on! LOL

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    15 years ago

Countrygarden, welcome to GardenWeb, I see you're a recent member. I must take exception to your statement about HVX and the bees and insects spreading the disease, making it sound as if that was the primary vector of transmission. It is considered by most experts that the main method of infection is through sap transfer in the dividing process, not from sap sucking insects - which bees are NOT, aphids and thrips are - but the latter seem to play only a small role, if any, in the transfer of this scourge.

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Raye,don't worry about it! The biggest problem I have ever had with hostas from Wally World,and Lowes bagged hostas is,what's in the bag isn't always what the picture shows! I have 2 instances to quote you. I bought a bag of Christmas Tree hostas,and they turned out to be So Sweet; and last year I bought a bag of supposedly Twilight hostas to sell at our church bazaar,and when they came up,they looked like Invincible! I have given up buying bagged hostas ever again for that very reason. The problem is,(and I hope I don't offend any Dutch)members on the forum. I think the hostas mostly come from Dutch nurseries,and I don't think they care if the hostas are correct,or not. Just MHO! Phil

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Raye,
    I am really actually a very nice individual.(Sorry!?) For the life of me I cannot began to understand why questionable plants are still being purchased? C'mon the entire time you have these plants there is no guilt? Yes, sap is the main means of transfer. Here are the results of the bee's: clean plants & virused plants were put together in seperate containers (no chance of sap being mixed) seedlings from the clean stock did have, yes, a small percentage of infection. God, please protect the Bee's, they are our lifeblood. Plants from the "open market" do result in mislabeling (not caring) if they don't care enough to get the name right, where is the COMMON SENSE that virus X is also scurried through the door? It has also been proven by Fact, what started out as a small quiet issue is everywhere in a short amount of time, it really is an epidemic! Hosta was, is known as the "Friendship Plant" now we have to be on our toes and live with this panic, simply because some people continue to LIE & DECEIT about the facts and the origin. Does anyone really enjoy being lied to? It is really this simple, do we want to continue to be able to trade confidentally & freely? We really need to unite as a whole and destroy the "Unreliable Market", it is so simple, don't buy hosta from unreliable sources. We are contributing our hard earned dollars to something that has just begun and is going to come back and HAUNT the hosta world. Perhaps this can be related too; hosta virus x is just that, a virus, the common cold also a virus, with all our technology still no cure or remedy for something that has been around since the beginning of time. Do you still want to hang with me today, I just have a cold. Can you imagine all the work, pride, & money stuck into our gardens to find out; part or all needs to be destroyed because someone has knowingly been deceitful. How are you, we going to feel at that point? Please go check this out, it is only a part of my "soapbox" the other is experience and investigation: Hallsons Forum under Virus X Topics- Avoid Hostas from the Dutch wholesalers like the plague and also Hosta Virus X-A Brief History of the Epidemic. I am doing my part are you? Phil how can you not put this in perspective and encourage others "not to worry"? Is this relative; unknowingly to you a plant was passed on from your garden; that person finds out it is "virused" and the word continues to scramble about your virused plants, where then do you stand, who is resposible? Would it be possible for the "Courts" to determine that? This day and age who knows. Overboard?, maybe I hope. No, this did not happen to me, just trying to find perspective. Does your investment and pride of your garden have no value? Please someone tell me how the risks outway the benefits of cheap unreliable, deceitful sources. No, I am not one of "those" people, frankly I just cannot understand why this market is continually & knowingly supported with all the risks.

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Countrygarden,I didn't mean not to look out for HVX,or anything else! I just meant that I have had more trouble with mislabeled plants,that HVX. I only have 1 HVX plant after 6 years of collecting,and it is planted by itself,and has never infected any other plants. I just keep it as an oddity. All the rest of my plants are good. It seems that every time I voice an opinion on this forum,everyone takes it as a personal affront! Well,I'll tell you what. I'll leave the hosta info to all the "experts" here on the forum,and I'll just keep growing my hostas as always! Phil

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Hello! Phil
    I am glad to here from you! I really, really dislike controversy. I want to be able to trade freely and visit gardens with confidence. I don't want to have to work with 10 shovels and heat them to 150 degrees for 15-20 min. to work in the garden. I would imagine most others do too. One outbreak, I know, no big deal. You have to realize what isn't showing. Did the percentages "help" from the info at Hallson's? This is after the "mess" was guaranteed to be cleaned up. The plants showed no sign. PLEASE use reliable sources and don't encourage others to be unafraid. You need to put VALUE on your garden's and all that entails. The "inside info" about this has got me furious. I feel I have to pass that on in a way that will hopefully HIT HOME. There is so little being done about the SERIOUSNESS. Thanks,

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

I may stand to be corrected on the temperature of disinfecting, however you get the point. I will work on the temp. Furthermore I want to make it clear it is not only HVX to be concerned with; there are several others. Unfortunately there are no "standards" for viruses & diseases on what is exceptable. It is pretty easy to get by this way, for the fact, most are shipped dorment and with little if any living tissue (leaves). It is all just a matter of "sweeping it under the door" and with a market; who cares.

• paul_in_mn
    15 years ago

Countrygarden - take a breath.

Love your PASSION for the topic, maybe with a "little" less EMOTION!?

Read through your long posting a couple of times but I just can't seem to finish. I have purchased HVX infected hosta as I'm sure many have that post here. Respected sources with clean plants or so I thought. What to do -- get informed, find trusted suppliers, share on forums like this one, use good handling practices and oh yeah more thing - don't panic.

I have a hosta (planted in '05) that looked a bit odd last fall - I will look at again this year - if I feel it is HVX I'll dig it up and toss it. Clean my tools and leave the spot empty for a year and replant next year. It bothers me, but it doesn't worry me.

Definitely agree about the Big Box stores seeming indifference to the issue. As has been discussed in other threads here - there are many suppliers to these stores based upon regional location some seem to be better than others. But buyer beware seems to fit. Realize that most of the buyers in these stores haven't a clue that there are more than 3 types of hosta, let alone a concern over diseased plants from dutch breeders.

You stated bees and insects spread HVX - could you cite a reference to this fact. (I've listed a AHS link you might want to check out below - seems to disagree)

I am always looking for good information and discussion about this topic.

Thanks
    Paul

ps Sorry Sunny for treading on your thread

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS HVS Research Project 2007

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Hi! Paul,
    I new there would be requests for info., been looking for what I had. However, would it make a difference on supporting unknown sources? I have been lurking for a while, you seem like a bright,respectable person hope to meet in person some day. I live 45 east of twin cities. I will bring beer for my emotion & the emotion won't be brought with. Raye & Sunny, I'll put money where my mouth is. Destroy your plants and I'll send you CLEAN 3yr. old Ginsu Knife, 3 yr. old Neptune, 2yr. old Ocean Isle.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

I don't mean to try to hijack this thread, but thought some of you in MN might be interested. Dr. Lockhart will be speaking at the Stearns Co. Hort Day at St. John's University, Collegeville on March 21st. Topic HVX and Tobacco Rattle Virus. Must register by March 13th

Here is a link that might be useful: extension U of MN

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Paul, don't worry about it. The whole thread was interesting.

I've been growing hosta for many years and have never had a problem with the plants. They just get bigger and I divide them. I have a lot of hosta now and am looking forward to another bountiful growing season.

Raye, so funny you "confessed" as well, and also felt "chewed." I have worried more about those ten plants than I have about anything in years! They are doing great in the cool garage now.

That's not all I did (more confession) I bought 20 (two boxes) Stella d'Oro (bareroot) daylillies at the same time, and had to deal with them as well. They're containered in the sun right now and will go out in the beds next week.

Ah -- I feel better. Good for the soul.
    Sunny

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Paul & others,
    Answere to your question for now: Hallsons Virus X forum, page 4, topic: HVX can be seed transmitted
    It would seem we still have a lot of unanswered questions and the further we dig, the less we know, this has become an epidemic. Thanks for at least keeping your ears open! Others need to WAKE UP!!! & QUIT THIS DENIAL!!!

• paul_in_mn
    15 years ago

Countrygarden01, thanks for the source - what I take from the Hallsons discussions is that HVX can be transmitted to seed of infected pod parent (infected plant can have infected seed) but nothing to conclude as of yet to suggest pollen would transmit HVX. And that little research has been done regarding pollen.

I agree with removing an infected plant, since there seems no upside to keeping an infected plant.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta virus X, seed transmission

• georgia-rose
    15 years ago

The statement; "Avoid Hostas from the Dutch wholesalers like the plague", seems a bit unfair to me. Just as in this country, there are the good ones and bad ones.
    I have many Hostas from Paradise Gardens (Marco Fransen) in Holland and have always quarantined them for several years before planting in the garden. So far, not a single Hosta has exhibited symptoms of HVX.
    It must be noted that the Hostas were not Tissue Cultured in Holland, some in the US, some in Poland or China.
    Some of your very knowledgeable and respected vendors also offer these Hostas for sale.
    Bottom line; Know your source, ask questions and maintain a vigil on any new purchases, until you are assured they aren't infected.
    FWIW, HVX is not the only virus that affects Hostas. During the past 20 years, I have removed virus (not HVX) infected sports from some Hostas, where the disease arose in my garden.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    15 years ago

Why wait to see if your plants might have HVX. Get some test strips and find out riht away. There is a link at the Hosta Library for the strips.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Hosta Library

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

I don't think we are at the tip of the "iceberg" yet. Teststrips would be an excellent start. I hope the air doesn't go dead. It seems when we are called out on confronting the possibilities and the realities of potential problems; in our very own gardens there is a mad dash to the door. If you won't except free plants will you consider the test?

Here is a link that might be useful: How much do we know?

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Let's try this again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reality Check-Purchasing Hosta

• pzelko
    15 years ago

sam's and walmart are owned by the same copnay so they probably get there hosta from the same place, china?

• pzelko
    15 years ago

Im in denial! after i had finished reading this carp. I think that country person is right about hvx being a threat, but........ needs a drink, not every one has a billion dollars to spend on there landscape (or have someone do it for them). and if someone chooses to keep a plant, that is there own doing, so chop off my head, I see that you already have the bloody ax in your hand.
    Paul

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

Pzelko,
    There are two main companies that feed all the "box stores" in one way or another. The majority of the plants come from an "open market" in Europe.

• countrygarden01
    15 years ago

denial,
    To clarify the gardens began here in 2002. They are created and maintained by myself and 14 yr. old son, Nick. They are my release and a place to evaluate the garden worthiness of a plant.

You don't need expensive plants to create and have a garden; what you put in is what you get out.

Trading is an excellent source of inexpensive plants. It seems now that is in jeopardy.

My point about all this is: The suppliers of these inexpensive "box" plants are knowingly flooding the market with bad plants. They get by with it because the plants continue to be purchased. Perhaps you can relate to this: how do you feel about all this bailout money we as taxpayers are forking over because of misrepresented equities and assets.

Hosta started to gain popularity in the early nineties. Since then we have 7 known viruses, nematodes, etc. Many of us were blindsided by this and it seems to be a shame on something that used to be so durable, such as "growing in the driveway" Plants continue to be infiltrated in the millions even though they know the problems and cover it up.

There are many good sources of inexpensive plants. You are welcome to visit and evaluate the gardens at that time.

• pzelko
    15 years ago

you seem to like to argue or try to push your point across to the extreme, that nobody wants to hear any more. Maybe you should be a lobbiest, I dont shop at the box stores, I really dont care for there variety of plants. And never step foot into any store owned by Walmart. I really do understand your concern and passion about this problem, but you cant always change one particular persons mind.

ps there were probably nematodes on Noahs Ark

Paul