SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riap_gw

Old 40 year odl Hoya dying-Help!

riap
14 years ago

We have an old 40 year old Hoya my husband got as a 5 year old cutting when we were in High School. Jose, as we named him, has done fantastic in our west facing kitchen window for the past 23 years, however, last summer he began dropping leaves and many leaves began losing that waxy look. hard to describe. Look like they are deflating? We probably went far too long before repotting and he got extremely pot bound and the soil badly compacted. A couple of months ago I repotted him with new soil, and cut away as much of the compacted soil as I dare without more damage, I saw white healthy roots in the middle of the root ball and hoped he'd recover and it seemed for a while, he was. We keep careful monitoring of watering and take off dead or dying leaves.My husband suspects he contracted root rot, but I am not certain of this. The soil was so impacted I could not break it with my fingers but had to cut it away with a sharp knife. We know Hoyas dislike repotting, dislike "haircuts" and try not to disturb him too much, its killing us to watch him dying before out eyes. I did start a couple of cuttings in a separate pot-any advice on taking care of those would be appreciated too. If anyone has any ideas how else to help this plant that has a great deal of sentimental value I'd sure appreciate it! I feel like a bad Hoya caretaker!!!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living