SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
florajilly

Beginner's Error

florajilly
19 years ago

I am a beginner Hoya enthusiast , and like all of you , I am continuously admiring the plants , examining peduncles etc. Here's my big mistake :O H. compacta hangs in the screened in porch. It's up fairly high , because it's thick glossy ropes are 2' to 5' long. Although I am always poking and feeling soil , I haven't climbed up on a chair or stool , in a couple of months. What a shock when I did that today. Poor compacta is a 'mess' with mealies and sooty mould. Several leaves at soil level were yellow , so I threw them into the garbage. I have isolated this plant from the others , ( which seem to be okay ). My problem is that I don't know how to effectively 'clean up ' this Hoya , because of the shape of the leaves. Flat leaves can be gently picked at , washed with mild soap ( not detergent ) then easily hosed . Please post information about which insecticides to use . Other beginners , please take note, that when you hang up a large plant with the inside of the pot above eye level, you can't make the same mistake that I have done , and deem the plant to be okay , just because the hanging parts look great and the soil 'feels' right.

Thank you ,

Florajilly

(Gillian)

Comments (4)

Sponsored