SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
labattblueboy

Wintering potted thyme & rosemary indoors

labattblueboy
15 years ago

I have an apartment in Ottawa, Canada that is heated by radiators and is thus kept rather warm and until I can get some old-school radiator humidifiers, dry.

I have a large pot of 1.5 year old rosemary and an old small habtchi converted into a planter full thyme that are getting the life kicked out of them inside this new apartment of mine. My others herbs and plants are all holding in (given the environment), including my lavender, parsley, chives and even mint.

I know rosemary likes a cold place but I've got nothing that is in the 10-15 degrees Celsius less my dark basement storage locker. I have moved it into the bathroom where there is a bathroom window that is not close to a radiator as at this point mildew from humidity is not my greatest concern. There is still green on the 2 of the 3 plants in planter but its gone half brown so if I'm going to act I'm running out of time.

The thyme is getting adequate, but not too much, water but is in the same situation as the rosemary being over 50% brown.

I should note that neither pot is deep but are horizontally spacy.

I would appreciate any suggestions on overcoming the radiator environment and bringing these bad boys back to life because I do a good amount of cooking with both.

Comments (2)