SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slashy

Herb oils & vinegars

slashy
16 years ago

Hi all,

Given how much I've gotten into gardening this year I'd like to give gifts over Christmas that come from my garden (Southern hemisphere, so currently all the herbs are fresh). One idea I had was to give little sets of flavoured oils & vinegars with a hand-made recipe leaflet.

I figure you'd all have some really good pointers for how to go about that!

Some reading on the net tells me I need to avoid putting any fresh herbs into oil to flavour it as the water contained within can harbour botulism (NOT the gift I want to give!). What would be the best herbs to dry for a nice-flavoured olive oil? I'm leaning towards rosemary as I have plenty of it and I'm pretty sure I could dry it (although I haven't tried yet). How long do you think it would take for the rosemary to dry before it would be safe to use?

Also I'd love to hear any recipes or suggestions you have for either the flavoured oils & vinegars themselves or for uses for them (ie salad dressings, marinades etc)!

The herbs I have growing are: sweet, opal & thai basil, rosemary, oregano, sage, many mints, lemongrass, parsley & thyme.

Thanks heaps!

-Slashy

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations