SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_barginear

The Need for Early Morning Sunlight

Nancy Barginear
12 years ago

There is a 6' high board fence across the back of our property on the east side. The row of daylilies closest to the fence are not thriving like the rest of them. These include clumps we moved from the country which were vigorous growers and bloomers. However, they do receive at least 6 hours of full sun, if not more. They just do not get early morning sunlight. They haven't multiplied much or at all, and have puny little blooms.

Curious as to why this is happening, I did some on-line research. First, it seems that the early morning sun's rays are stronger in the longer red and orange wave lengths. Second, I found a study with different colors of LED lights and the effects on plants. It showed that the red/orange light waves had the most positive effect on root development.

This is getting into physics here, of which I know little or nothing.

It seems we have two choices: 1) remove the fence and install a cast iron fence, or 2) move the back row of daylilies forward, and plant tall varieties in their place.

I do have one tall spider daylily in that back row which has done very well, as it is tall enough to receive the early morning sun.

Have you all had any similar experiences? Any physicists out there in our daylily world?

Nancy

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm