SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Olallie Daylilies- Are they late blooming?

newyorkrita
15 years ago

I was over at the Olallie Daylily Gardens site.

I am interested in the late bloomers. Some are listed as August blooming in Vermont and some as Sept blooming in Vermont. I figgure that they are not going to bloom as late here as there so I picked the ones listed as Sept blooming with the idea that they would bloom here in August.

I would like to know if anyone grows the Olallie daylilies and what you think of them. What I want are ones that will start at the very end of July or first week in August here in my zone 6/7 garden.

Have some picked out that I am thinking about.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Olallie Daylily Gardens

Comments (34)

• rarejem
    15 years ago

Rita,

I'm not a good source for info on your zone, but I grow Olallie Gold Rim, and it is one of the very latest in my garden. I had my first bloom yesterday, and I am in my mid-season full bloom right now. It multiplies well, has tons of scapes with tons of blooms. Not the showiest in the garden, but wonderful to still have color when most everything is done.

Julie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is why I am looking at the Olallie Daylilies. I remember looking last year and passing them up because they were not fancy enough. Well, whats not that noticable in peak bloom becomes very noticable if its the only thing blooming so I am looking at them for late color. I truely would like to find daylilies that bloom in August here on Long Island. That would put them after the "big" show of bloomers is done and if I could get rebloom then it would fill in the period while the rebloom scapes grow.

I am pretty sure I am going to try at least afew of them. They ship all summer until October and I actually have a nice place thats totally empty were I could just plant daylilies without having to do much. The reason I haven't already filled up the area and planted with daylilies is because I am saving that spot for season extending daylilies like lates or extra earlies.

• Related Discussions

Pictures around the garden are late blooming daylilies.

Q

Comments (4)
    Very pretty. I especially like the Cherry pie too! My DLs are just about done. In fact tonight I spent the evening cutting out the spent scapes. Only have a few left with buds on. Usually I have DLs bloom well into August.
    ...See More

Hey, Guess what? I bought three new late blooming daylilies.

Q

Comments (25)
    "But in recent years, the weather in August has been so daggone horrible that I have had almost NO desire to even go out and spend much time in the garden at this time of year. Pretty sad, huh?" Are you kidding? When my daylilies were ending this summer, my reaction was "What a relief! I don't have to go out and look at those d...n plants any longer! It's over for another year!" LOL Actually, we've had a wonderful August. July had a couple of truly beastly weeks, but no Augustan Dog Days this year. Speaking of which, I picked up Moldovan's AUGUSTAN AGE for about $7 at our club's sale to the public. Very happy camper here, as that one is hard to find.
    ...See More

My trip to Olallie Daylily Farms - pics!

Q

Comments (4)
    Wow, wow. Look at all those daylilies blooming. The beds seem to go on forever. I great place to just wander around for afew hours. I love that picture of VT Olallie Flamenco, its beautiful! Nice ones you picked out for yourself also.
    ...See More

Olallie Daylilies that really are Late Bloomers!

Q

Comments (22)
    Ack! Someone thinks I'm an expert! No no NO LOLOL. I consider myself a newish newbie still, and I am a TOTAL sucker for a pretty face! Seriously though, thank you for the very kind words, but I really don't consider myself to be all that knowledgeable yet. But what I do is get lots of catalogs and spend WAY TOO MUCH time looking at hybridizers' and sellers' web sites....I belong to several lists....I enjoy visiting gardens, love being able to see tour gardens during conventions, regional meetings, etc.....I've gone to the same AHS display garden several million times at this point, and I always see something new or learn something new about the plants, or I see old, familiar faces in a new light....I've taken a garden judges and exhibition judges clinic....I belong to AHS and to two local clubs, and I entered my very first daylily show this summer (what a blast that was!)....I have catalogs, price lists and newsletters from the latest going back years....I have a near-complete set of AHS journals....I have TONS AND TONS of images saved, with text files of the posters' accompanying comments on the daylilies, on daylily culture and etc etc etc....the hybridizers with whom I'm not at least semi-familiar? Probably just a handful of local ones here or there throughout the country. IOW, there are SO MANY ways for everyone to learn and pick up useful info. So you can pick and choose what seems right for you at the time. (IMO everyone should at least consider joining AHS and at least one local club....I think the cost is trivial relative to what you can conceivably get out of it.) But despite all that, IMHO the REAL experts and knowledgeable people here are floota, shive, and others like them, who are long-time daylily growers who have or have had substantial daylily collections (compared to my really rather smallish one) and who know so much more than I do.... still, I do feel pleased that you enjoy some of my comments. :)))
    ...See More
  • newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I have looked at their daylilies off and on last night and today. Have decided to get 5 of the ones they list as blooming in September. I am pretty sure they will bloom here a month earlier and bloom in August when I want them too. Picked out 5. Arrived at that number of five for two reasons. I went out and measured were I would be putting them and five will fit on this top garden "ledge" which is in the backyard near the daylily plateu. Will have to take a picture of the little area I have in mind. It will be in a row. Also, I went thru the Late bloomers they had upteen times and these five were the best of the lot in my eyes. I look at a combination of the looks of the flower, bloom time, whether it has a long bloom period and budcounts and scapes and all that.

So the five are-

Olallie Mack
    Bridal Lilac
    Fall Pink Mellon
    Right Regal
    RR Red

I am also getting FOREVER STELLA because believe it or not, I don't have Stella.

Then I think I will get three more of the Olallie named ones as the spot has room for six in two rows but I will just get the back row. I am still trying to narrow down the field of possibles I have picked out of five to buy three. Don't want to get anymore than the three to keep it to the one spot. I have room for another row of three in front of that row of three but don't want to go for six more of these things. They are not exactly drop dead gorgeous.

Olallie Gold Rim should be one and then maybe Olallie All Summer, maybe Olallie Late Red, or Olallie Lavender or Olallie Red. Have to think on it some more.

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

Rita,

I bought several Olallie plants about three years ago, but most of them are mid-season. But I do have R R Red, and it barely performed for me last year, with one scape and just a few blooms. I just got out my 2007 picture disk to review it, and it's not 'presentable' enough to post here - kind of a blotchy red. Today I looked at it in my garden, and it's just now sending up two scapes, but can't tell how many buds yet. I really think it's being shaded out by some tall Lilies growing near it (I love lilies too!) By the time it blooms, (Last year it was Aug. 16), you will surely have ordered, but I will try to remember to post a picture anyway.

I was going to recommend 'Miss Ozzie' from Olallie, but that probably isn't late enough for what you want. That particular one is very plain looking by itself, (a whitish w/a little bit of a lavender hue), but it looks quite impressive in front of my deep green Viburnum shrub, and it was a fast increaser, tall, and I counted 23 b/s on one of the scapes. Olallie lists the bud count at 9/s, so she's outdone herself!

Good luck in your decision,

Julie

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

IÂve considered their DLs several times too, but didnÂt order for the same reason that was holding you back: not fancy enough. But now most of mine are over and I feel I could appreciate any later daylily regardless of form. Let us know how these work out for you.

I have one daylily blooming like crazy right now and judging by the buds remaining it will still be going strong for a few more weeks. I am in Zone 5. It is Spacecoast Sweetness, a short smaller daylily in a warm peach color, ruffled with really beautiful form. I am always into eyes and dark rich colors, but now that there are none left, I am really stating to appreciate this daylily. I have never seen a bud count like this. It has been blooming for weeks and is still covered in blooms and buds. IÂll have to look it up and see what season it is classified as, but IÂm sure it started EM.

• MaxBaerHems
    15 years ago

Linnea,
    It's hard to beat a good Kinnebrew....Spacecoast Sweetness is another of many wonderful daylilies from the Kinnebrew Family.

Rick

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They really are not that very much to look at at least in my opinion. But I am hoping my plan of them blooming in August works out.

At any rate I thought about it some more last night and decided that all I really wanted were those five late bloomers that I listed and the heck with trying to find something else there. At least for now. So that second batch of maybe this or maybe that ones are out.

I did order the FOREVER STELLA and I also ordered another of their Stella types called YELLOW LOLLIPOP. They say Forever Stella starts up in May and Yellow Lollipop in June. If that is true, I will be happy as anything blooming that early would be fine by me.

I just did my order so I will see. From the info on thier website, it looks like they send nice plants. I hope that is true.

Then if these 5 work out for me as filling the gap I might try someting else from them at another time. That Top level section in my garden will have the row of five and the bottom still empty for now. Will keep searching for hoped for August bloom.

Julie - I decided to risk it and buy RR RED. If it turns out to be a dud here I guess that i will toss it.

• rarejem
    15 years ago

Rita,

I see that O. Gold Rim didn't make the cut, but was thinking of you last night when I was walking the garden and took pics to give you an idea of where mine stood in terms of bloom. Each scape has this many buds, so should put on quite a show over the next month and a half! Hope the ones that you chose do the same for you!

Just starting--many scapes with many buds.

Not fancy, but glows nicely in the garden.

Closer look at the buds on one of the scapes.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Geez, look at all those buds!!! I just was having the worst time choosing from that second batch that had Gold Rim in it so I decided to pass. I am not one that has trouble making up up mind so I figgured if I couldn't choose better to wait. If these ones I bought from them work out then I might get some more. I actually loved the bloom on OLALLIE ALL SUMMER the best of anything I looked at and I did not buy it.

I do appreciate you taking these pictures. I still might change my mind and add to my order.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just wanted to add that I am very, very stubborn and want what I want. Last year after I planted all those lovely evergreen daylilies almost all listed as rebloomers, people told me no rebloom here, sorry. Well, I wasn't about to accept no rebloom so I started researching northern hybridizers with lots of rebloom. Bought those plants and planted this spring. Now, I still believe I can get rebloom on my southern evergreens but have to wait and see.

But if my plan works and I get rebloom one way or another (and hopefully on both the new reblooming types and the southern ones from last year) than there is still the lag time in August which is after the blooms finished and before rebloom scapes have time to appear.

So now I am trying to address getting bloom for August. I thought I had a start by buying those Dale Thomas intros all listed as late or vey late but they all bloomed at peak bloom here in July. I hope thats just because they were newly planted and mixed up.

So I am still trying to address this problem and buying the Olallie Daylilies is another way of coming at the same problem for me.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received a shipping notice from Olallie Daylily Gardens and my daylilies shipped out today. So I will soon be able to see for myself the quality of their plants. I wish I could get bloom this year but since its August 11 and they are listed as September bloomers, I don't think its very likely.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For someone that this spring swore I was not going to get any more daylilies this year, I sure have changed that and have more coming. Oh well, I just think how great it all will be next year when even more daylilies bloom around here.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, UPS just bought the box and I unpacked it. Smaller size fans than what I am used to getting but they are from Vermont and I guess they are dips while most of my daylilies are tets. Good number of fans though, three to four each clump and they look good. Will just put them to soak while I make up the markers and get ready to plant them.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Job well done and new daylilies planted. They are off to the side of the plateau in the back yard in a skinny raised section that runs along the back there. Further along there are things planted like some blueberries, some viburnum shrubs, a small crabapple tree and my three dwarf Mountain Ash Trees. But I had empty places near where the plateau is and my plan is to get late bloomers in this garden section. I had laid out the spacing for five in a row but when I went to plant and actually looked at the space there I decided to put them further back from where I had first thought in the middle. First off, they are not gowing to grow backward towards the short wall. Then the way the sun comes they get plenty of it but it will be from the forward side.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, there is a scape on Bridal Lilac. Guess I will get to see what at least one out of the five I planted looks like for myself this year.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Another scape! This time one on RR RED. I will get to see it for myself this year.

Julie - If your RR RED is blooming I would love to see pictures.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So shopping at Olallie again this time bought a bunch of early bloomers, see other post. But I found afew more in the late catagory too so added those too my order.

One I bought was YELLOW SIGHTS (VT). Its a tall one at 46 inches and a late bloomer. I had decided to move a daylily I have, BLAST FROM THE PAST from Brett Clements to the far end of my row of MARY TODDs. Its very tall 50 inches or so, can't remember and very late. So when I saw this, I realised it would be perfect for the other end of the row and thats were it is going.

I also got one called HOME CAMPANION (VT) an orange bud builder. Just loved the picture of it, I thought it was gorgeous.

Then in the late Catagory another gorgeous one TYPE ALPHA (VT). I don't know how I missed this one when I shopped first time around, it is really, really pretty and the nicest of all the September flowering ones in my opinion.

Another pretty one, BUTTERSCOTCH HARVEST (VT) and DIMPLED CHEEKS (VT) end up my new Olallie buys.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the section with the 5 planted Olallie late bloomers planted the other week.
    You can see the Catmint that I transplanted over there so that it should fall down the small wall.

Better View.

Back looking view. That big sunflower there I did not plant but bird planted and I left it.

Going to have to pot up the last of the 4 new Olallie late bloomers that are going in the bottom section there near the short rock wall because I don't want to pull out the sunflower yet as many of the flowers not done yet and seeds not ripe.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hurray, I finished planting my Olallie daylilies today by doing the late bloomers from the order I had the other day. Did the early bloomers yesterday and I had lots more of them. Only had to plant 5 daylilies today.

I was not that impressed when I first started looking at the Olallie daylilies some time back. But I think I was able to find some really nice ones which will do well to add to the garden.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So, there is another Daylily forum I sometimes visit and post on (as does Debra). Not supposed to mention names here I think.

But someone there in Zone 5 MA, very close to the VT border, posted some pictures of some of their Olallie daylilies. From what I understand they just started blooming. Two pictured that I also have were Olallie Mack and VT TYPE ALPA. Both just started there about 3 days ago. The clump short of VT TYPE ALPHA was quite stunning, I just loved it. I thought from the picture on the Olallie website that this was a good one but that just proved it to me.

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

Hi Rita,

I'm outside Buffalo, NY ... zone 5. I have 5 or 6 of the late Olallie's also. Bridal Lilac, the Last Melon, Autumn Fires, Cameo Appearance, Dimpled Cheeks, and a couple more I added this Spring.

They are in full bloom with lots of buds. They sometimes bloom through to October here. They are not fancy, but it's great to have late bloom.

Rebloom here is spotty at best.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pamghatten- Great to hear about your Olallie daylilies doing great. I know they are not the fancy flowers that I am used to and that is why I never bought from them before. But I have found that if I want truely late bloomers, I am going to have to settle for a plainer flower. A plainer flower that comes along when nothing else is blooming is still a good thing. That is why I tried so hard to pick just the "right" ones from Olallie. I wanted August bloom here. Didn't need Olallie midseason. I already have lots of stunning midseason bloom.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is my OLALLIE MACK with three small bloom scapes coming. Can you see them?

Here is that whole Olallie late blooming section planted and hopefully will fill in for next year. It is off to the right of the backyard daylily plateau. The daylilies you can just see sneaking into the picture on the left are on the plateau. That big grey plant you see is Lavender.

There is a row of five up on that top section with the small rock wall. In front of the row are some Catmints I transplanted recently to hopefully cascade down the wall. Then there is a row of four at the bottom directly near the rock wall. There is still room for some more in front of that row and in back of the strawberry plants you see there.

That sunflower really should not be there. Birds planted it, not me. But I left it because its only an annual. Plus I had not planted that bed yet. Next year I will make sure no sunflowers stay there to interfear with daylilies.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have blooms on two of my Olallie Daylilies. First on VT RR Red. I didn't know what to expect after Julie had said it did so poorly for her and had awefull looking flowers but I decided to take a chance. I was so surprised at how pretty the flower was when it bloomed today.

RR RED

BRIDAL LILAC also bloomed today.

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

Rita,

My R R Red looks just like yours, above (doing much better this year.) I haven't had time lately to browse here, much less post my last few blooms. In fact, my R R Red is still on my camera! I recently went back to work full time, and have little time to check out this fourm:( I'll try real soon to post my last few. Your R R Red looks stunning backlit!

Julie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, bloom scapes coming up again. This time on FALL PINK MELON. RR RED had two open blooms yesterday but I didn't take pictures yesterday as I was so busy with other things like going to pick up my late bloomers from Isabel Hibbard.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Olallie Mack opened today.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had my first flower on VT Fall Pink Mellon today.

{{gwi:646916}}

Another view. I don't know why they are calling it pink mellon, nothing pink about it.

• fayrehale
    15 years ago

We live in McIndoe Falls, Vt. 2 years ago I visited Olallie Daylily Nursery right after Labor Day, with camera!

I figured the best way to select late bloomers was to see the late bloomers in the display gardens!

They couldn't have been nicer and I came home w/ the back seat full:)

I alternated late bloomers with summer bloomers along our drive and up the walk to the kitchen door. Goal was to have full season bloom.

I had 11 daylilies blossuming still on Oct 27th.

Now, the bad news! I can't locate my "map" so can't list them by name. The map will show up..

The late bloomers are late bloomers and if you have an opportunity to visit the nursery around Labor Day, I suggest you do so!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know that they have a sale in October were lots of stuff is maybe half price. They have it at the nursery and also on line. I know because I got a postcard from them about the sale. I just did not buy then because I have run out of time and was tired of planting.

Your idea of alternating late season and normal season bloomers sounds great. Not something I had thought to do. Mine are clustered with sections of beds with the early and late season bloomers so I will see how that looks next year in bloom. Should be ok though.

I am not done with wanting more season extenders but feel at least I am well on the way.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will have to take a new picture now to show the progress on those late blooming Olallies. Most are scaped up but not near bloom. I really have in mind to get more, if I can find more listed as September blooming, but not felling like buying right now as soon I need to start my moving of daylilies prokects.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know why this will not bump up.

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Trying a bump for you Rita.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Website updated for spring 2010. Bumping this up.