SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Driveway Side Future Daylily Garden - PICTURES

newyorkrita
16 years ago

This spring I started on a daylily garden in the strip between the neighbors driveway and mine. Picture shows the area done earlier this spring with the Flash Force and Fancy Face Dayliles from Marietta Gardens.

Looking the other way, you can also see the Paradise City Daylilies just added afew days ago as a row in back.

The view down the driveway is were I am going to do more daylilies.

Belgium Block edging was put in yesterday and today. Lots of weeds and big azalea shrubs had to be dug out to do this garden. Not that I don't like Azealeas, I love them, but they were growing with big roots right were they had to dig to do the edging. Plus they were growing way over and into the driveway and no room to cut them back.

From accross the driveway you get a better view. I have gained about a foot of driveway width as there was soil and weeds grown over the blacktop crowding along. I had it taken back to the driveway edge so now the garden will stay were it belongs. The driveway is so old it needs to be comepletely taken out and redone but thats a project for another year.

Now looking up the driveway. The very bottom of the driveway is were I had the ditch lilies that were here for a very long time. I was surprised that they were growing at least a foot over and into (on top of) the driveway. I dug out all I could find of the ones still left in the very narrow strip of actual garden but I wouldn't be surprised if they pop up again next spring.

There still is some work to be done, the soil needs to be levelled and the extra taken out. I will put a thick carpet of straw for mulch and let it sit and the earthworms work on it over the fall.

In the spring I plan to put hardy northern grown daylilies along here, especially from Melanie Mason. Also looking at Paul Owen intros. I want lots of Emmerich too but not sure that I will put any in this garden or not.

Comments (5)