SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Use of bone meal in seed starting - a question

ademink
17 years ago

According to Bill Nash:

BONE MEAL IS GOING TO BE YOUR GREATEST INVESTMENT EVER and here is why: A Bill Nash special seed-sowing tip, and then some! -- to provide for the best possible germination and growth of newly started seedlings (used with all seeds sown and all growing mediums used anywhere, indoors or outdoors) sprinkle a bit of BONE MEAL powder over top of the seeds, just before covering seeds with growing medium and wetting. Better yet, mix some bone meal in with your growing medium also. Don't forget to do this outside too, if you get into direct outdoor sowing. This information, comes from experimental trials of applying ground-up Bone Meal Powder verses Super Phosphate powder application and verses no seed treatment at all in the sowing of hosta-seeds. These trials were sown in similar fashion, same time, same growing medium (soil-less) and using identical hosta-seed type and identical growing conditions. THIS HAS PROVEN that when simply sprinkling a bit of Bone Meal powder over top of sown seeds, this provides for the best germination results possible and also having the healthiest looking seedlings. The resulting hosta seedling germination quantity was two-fold that of untreated seed. That is to say, seed which had no nutrient fertilizer added to it.

Question: If I'm sterilizing my medium and sterilizing my containers and sterilizing the sterilizer...lol...then does this mean I also need to sterilize the bone meal.....????? I don't want to do everything right and then sprinkle bone meal on top and contaminate everything.

Thanks!!!!

Andrea

Comments (9)