SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
narcnh

Dogs and Herbs

narcnh
18 years ago

Thought I'd pose this question to the group. This summer among the various pots of herbs that were lined up along my driveway apron were several pots of African Blue Basil, both regular and variegated. ABB is a very free bloomer all most all year long (even inside) but being sterile doesn't bolt or change flavor after blooming. So, I always let it be, unless it needs a good pruning. It is also fragrant. Anyway, my dog, a Chow, would routinely go over to the ABB and stick his face right into them for a few seconds. At first, I thought he was sniffing some critter or whatever. But, eventually I came to realize that he was actually sniffing the plants. He did it all summer long. He occasionally sniffed other herbs, too, but definitely was most attracted to the ABB. For me, it was nice to see him almost make it a part of his routine, kind of like something we shared (sorry for the anthropomorphism).

Outside of the obvious attraction of cats to catnip and the like, has anyone observed their pets, especially dogs, 'appreciating' their herbs or other plants for that matter?

narcnh

Comments (21)