SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

My Humble Daylilies and some to identify

celeste/NH
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but am a frequent contributor on the roses/antique roses forum. I want to tell you all that I have been enjoying your photos and posts. I have about a dozen daylilies that I've had for years but I am now getting seriously interested in daylilies and have my very first order coming from Maryott's next week. (I feel a new addiction coming on!).

I have always grown true lilies from bulbs and have a huge

lily garden devoted just to them, but because our local garden centers only carry the basic/boring daylilies, I had truthfully never given them a second glance. Now that I've seen all your photos here and gone on so many DL websites, I realize that there are some outstanding beauties out there that I simply must have!

The ones I currently have are modest, by comparison.

But they have been faithful friends in my garden, coming back year after year and bringing their own simple grace

to my world. Here are my meager offerings for now, but

NEXT year, I'll have some real stunners to show you thanks to Maryott's! I also have many that I bought that I don't know the name of, and I posted a couple of them to see if

anybody knows. Thanks for looking!

SIR MODRED (SOMETIMES SEEN AS 'SIR MORDRED'...I don't know which is correct).

{{gwi:936450}}

BLACKBERRY CANDY

{{gwi:936451}}

BARBARA MITCHELL

{{gwi:936452}}

SILOAM ETHEL SMITH

{{gwi:936453}}

ROYAL FROSTING

{{gwi:936454}}

WINEBERRY CANDY (MINE LOOKS MORE SALMON IN TONE THAN PINK)...

{{gwi:936455}}

WOODSIDE RUBY....

{{gwi:936456}}

CATHERINE WOODBURY...

{{gwi:936458}}

NOID... (This one only blooms once, but sends up multitudes of scapes and is an amazing bud producer).

The color is very bright and very intense, more so than my simple camera can capture.)

{{gwi:936460}}

This 'NOID' is HUGE and HIGHLY FRAGRANT. It measures 7 inches across and the fragrance is so strong I can smell it without having to bend down to sniff it. It never had an ID tag so I have no clue what it is.

Here's the weird part....when I bought it (potted) it was

all in one pot, but it seems as if it is two different yellow daylilies, because the blooms are so different. Although both measure 7 inches across and both are fragrant, the coloring is different and the forms are different. I had planted the entire clump together, thinking it was all the same plant, but when it bloomed, even though they bloomed at the same time, they weren't exactly alike. Does anybody have a guess if they are the same cultivar, or are they two totally different lilies? The darker yellow also has 2 extra sepals (if that's the word).

One variation....

{{gwi:936462}}

the other....

{{gwi:936464}}

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH