SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

PLEASE help! What is this fungus in my herbs?!

cfox248
10 years ago

Everybody says herbs are easy to grow. I've got a pretty good green thumb but I am having issue after issue of herbs - and it's autumn, so I can't keep replacing the ones I kill off because the local garden center stopped ordering more!

So over the summer I planted a herb box. A big old wooden peaches box with basil, rosemary, another basil species, chives, oregano. Cilantro was in there briefly. And it THRIVED. All summer it just grew and grew and I had so many herbs.

Now that it's autumn and I've moved back up to school, they're on a sunny windowsill... And they all start to wither and die! So I get to investigating and discover 1) a NASTY spider mite infestation. Oh great - I just fought those off my mint, now these?! Time to get some Mite-X. and 2) a strange white fungus like thing! It's growing on the leaves that have fallen off my plants, and the underside of the chives (which are in very poor health).

Attached is a picture. I have a new container ready to plant them into with fresh soil (the wood box is getting cracks) and I plan to root and wash the plants before replanting. But what is this white fungus, and how do I manage it? I'm going to wait to transplant till I get some input.

Also - I don't have quite enough dirt for the new container. Can I use some of the dirt from the current container if I bake it to kill any fungus/mites inside it and mix it in with the fresh soil?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022