SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann_tx8

Can you identify this herb/plant please?

ann_tx8
14 years ago

My apologies to begin with: No photo available, camera awaiting repairs. Perhaps I can have it back before cold weather nips this. If you can help identify this herb by description, I will be very grateful. I got the start of this plant several years ago from someone who grew medicinal herbs, and I BELIEVE she said that the leaves could be used as a poultice for pains such as menstrual, back and neck, sore muscles, and as a sooting additive to the bath by just putting leaves into the water.

This plant is in several stages of grown, most stalks about 2-1/2-3 feet tall. Leaves are soft; heart-shaped; the mature ones about 8" long. It reminds me of a huge bean leaf. It must travel by roots b/c it has started taking over a plant bed. A couple of weeks ago, it started putting out long 3-4" long white skinny "growths" like plilable icicles; I do not know if these will be seeds or flowers or just what they are. Very pretty plant.

This plant was so slow to start I wondered if it would make it in our intense droughts; after a few years of just sitting there in 2 or 3 plants, this year it took over! It is providing dense shade . (They start out in the spring looking like a big heart-shaped hosta, but grow rapidly.)

I may have some to share if interested parties, and if I can find the best way to dig and keep alive to mail. They disappear in the winter.

Thank you in advance,

Ann

Comments (11)