If you could only plant one tree...

ladywingr
15 years ago

... what would it be and why?

Comments (35)

• the_musicman
    15 years ago

Bodhi Tree (Ficus religiosa)

because it holds such deep spiritual significance for me.
    I am privileged that I do in fact grow one of these trees in my backyard.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    15 years ago

Tipuana tipu - Deep rooter, cold and drought tolerant, blooms most of the year, good shade tree.

• Related Discussions

If you could only recommend one plant?

Q

Comments (13)
    If I already had host plants, I would go with Butterfly bushes. They REALLY draw the butterflies. At least in my garden last year. Too early to tell what is going to be the big draw this year, but I'm adding more of everything I can get my hands on for my "Babies". My new friends here have been so generous sharing seed, trees, shrubs, vines and flowers. What more could I ask for? I hope to share with my neighbors so the whole neighborhood with be a butterfly haven!! If I can get them hooked, can you imagine what it will be like? lol Betty
    ...See More

If you could only have one shrub/plant what would it be?

Q

Comments (7)
    I just got in from planting: blueberry, huckleberry, and lingon berry (if never tasted the latter two--but they are a lovely shrub). I also got a gardenia, azalea, and camellia which might need some winter protection, but I planted them in a sheltered area and they were on sale. I guess they don't look as attractive to potential customers now that the first bloom is off. One might hope that because a plant is sold locally, it would be suited for the area, but I know that is rarely the case. Thanks much
    ...See More

If you could only pick one veggie to plant,

Q

Comments (14)
    Tomato is a FRUIT, not a vegetable! Therefore it does not count, the tomato is a "freebie"... so are cucumbers, squash, green beans even my favorite EGGPLANT, is a fruit! So now that make you decision a LOT easier, doesn't it?-)
    ...See More

If you could plant only one, which one would you choose?

Q

Comments (18)
    Ciao all- Easy: Opalka, hands down. It's a champ, produces very well and is my machine for just about any tomato product you could make from sauce to V8 juice to ketchup to salsa. I can't say enough good things about this awesome variety.
    ...See More
  • early_bird_2007
    15 years ago

Persimmon!

• tampaart
    15 years ago

Mango, Mango, Mango, Mango, Mango.

Oh did I say which tree it would be?

Mango

• thonotorose
    15 years ago

Live Oak. We are losing way too many to developers and population growth. Shade and majesty for the generations to come....

• solstice98
    15 years ago

If you have a HUGE space, then I would have to say Live Oak for the reasons t'rose gave above. It really is a majestic tree and lasts for generations. I put one in as far from my house as my lot allows and I hope in 150 years it's still here waving at hurricanes.

In a wettish spot in my yard close to the golf pond I planted a grand cypress. I don't care about the knees. I think this is a beautiful tree.

But for a small boulevard tree or shade tree closer to your house, check out the Tipuana Tipu. I didn't know about this tree until Ricky suggested it to me several years ago. I planted one and I love it, love it, love it! Lacy leaves, lovely yellow flowers that the butterflies flock to, interesting bark, and best of all it has an interesting growth shape that starts out looking a bit psycho then settles down and becomes a spreading canopy like something you would see in Africa with lions napping under. How can you beat that?!?

• tony_k_orlando
    15 years ago

Had to look this tree up y'all are talkin about. Looks Very NICE.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here to see it

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    15 years ago

Here's a nice one:

• naplesgardener
    15 years ago

I have given this a lot of thought based on my current yard. If I had more space it would be a live oak but I don't. Had 2 in my last yard, loved them but they are close to being too large for the lot/house after only 10 years.
    I would plant a lemon or lime tree. I use lemons and limes a lot and they are good for certain butterflies to lay eggs on and make new butterflies.
    Key Lime would be a home run (native, edible, butterfly friendly, drought tolerant). No shade though, it's pretty short, more of a bush.

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

Can the Tipuana tipu be pruned to be a moderate size. My next door neighbor needs something small to be planted about 3 feet from her house, to replace a hibiscus standard. I'm guessing not. She liked having the shade and privacy (outside a first floor bathroom on the south side)

Any other suggestions? Perhaps firespike or powderpuff? She also spotted a gorgeous crape myrtle at the BX. We're in zone 9b.

Thanks

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

I LOVE my michelia alba, compact, pretty, extremely fragrant and blooms most of the year. I'm looking to get another one for the backyard.

• alexia1980
    15 years ago

A Tulip Poplar Tree! Too bad the three I've tried just won't survive in my climate, no matter what the nurseries say :(

• ladywingr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interesting list of trees. I posted the question as much for my interest in the types of trees that folks like as well as more ideas for our own place.

I do adore the mango that we have, not only is it a beautiful tree, but the fruit is delicious!

I wonder if the "tip-tip" sprouts a lot of seeds? It looks like it could have that potential?

The michelia alba sounds delightful - could be worth investigating further.

I will be planting more citrus since our new neighbors "cleaned out" a half dozen or so mature citrus a couple of weeks ago and now there are none left for the butterflies other than my one small lemon.

I have seen the Bodhi at Selby and it is gorgeous. The space is lacking for the Bodhi and the live oak.

Unfortunately, I don't care much for the persimmon fruit, and would hate to to see it go to waste.

Looking forward to any more comments!

• ladywingr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Tipuana tipu looks awfully large for that area. 3 feet is very close for any tree next to a structure. I currently have a tapioca near one window and a "Song of India" dracaena near another. Both are easily controlled for size and provide the screening effect that I want. Perhaps some other type of foliage may work in that area? Maybe a small trellis with a vine?

• katkin_gw
    15 years ago

I can't talk about trees. lol I have way too many for my lot size, they'll just have to fight it out.
    Royal poincianna
    Jacaranda
    African waddle
    Ylang Ylang,
    Queen crepe myrtle
    Tipu
    Aftican tulip tree
    bald cypress
    Hong kong orchid
    Shaving brush tree
    bottle brush tree
    Uncarina,( thanks Ricky)
    Mayho tricolor
    pink tabebuie
    sunshine tree
    Jerusalem thorn
    Japanese Fern
    Mango
    Fiddle wood
    Simpson stopper
    Sweet acacia
    Bottle palm
    Christmas palms
    As well as many bushes trained as standards, like a dombeya easily 10 to 15 feet tall.
    And they are all my favorite. :o)

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Bamboo! Oops, I guess that's just a giant grass ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: My five year old bamboo

• wanda662
    15 years ago

My favorite tree is the Royal Poincianna! Can I plant it in my yard, nope!
    The reason I like it is they are Tropical but not in a small yard. Plus, I grew up with one in our yard.
    Love the folige and the flowers.

• greentfinger
    15 years ago

Only one? Well if you want a quick growing shade tree the Sycamore does well in Pinellas County. They grow fast and spread considerably. After getting started they survive the dry winters and the sometimes wet summers. A good tree if you have space. When the large leaves come down they are a bit troublesome but easy to rake and not as bad as the Laurel Oaks which shed all year long.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Does anyone know how the michelia alba is for salt and wind tolerance?

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    15 years ago

Michelia alba is wind tolerant, having come from the mountains, but it will not take salt spray. We tried one on the west side of A1A for a job in Boca Raton. It lasted for a year and then died from salt frost.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Thanks, fawnridge. Rats.

• tomncath
    15 years ago

B.malingensis, on the other hand, is very salt tolerant...sorry, I just couldn't resist ;-)

• thonotorose
    15 years ago

While we're talking trees, let me mention the Pelta Phorum. A fabulous large and very fast growing tree. Some feel it is invasive. It will seed readily. They are in bloom now in Central Florida and look like a jacaranda, but with yellow flowers. The seed pod is better; a papery thing, not those hard ears.

One of the ways to differentiate between the two trees is the shape of the tiny individual leaves on the fronds. One of them is rounded and the other has a tiny point. I can look tomorrow and see which is which.

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info, Ladywinger. I love Song of India. How tall can you get yours to grow? My start flopping at around 2 1/2 to 3 feet.
    I had a tapioca that I didn't have in a good spot. It would have been great for the new location.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Mango, because it is my favorite fruit...Can't get enough of them!!

• rstanny
    15 years ago

River Birch given a short time horizon. Otherwise Live Oak, probably.

• annafl
    15 years ago

Live oak wins by a large margin for me. We have nine on our property or bordering it. Will never give any of them up. They require nothing, always look good, give great shade, are wind, drought tolerant, give great leaves to mulch themselves, and birds and other wildlife adore them.

My michaelia alba brings great olfactory pleasure much of the year, and has to rank up there. In a little over two years it has gone from 3 feet to about 15-18 feet with no fertilizer and little water. The scent is heavenly and it blooms almost all the warm months. The tree is almost triangle shaped- like a magnolia, and I find it attractive.

I also adore poincianas. Mine has been in the ground over 2 years, but no blooms yet. I find the foliage really pretty, tho.

My tipuana tipu has been in the ground less than a year and it has started to really grow. Pretty foliage so far.

Ladywingr, it sounds like you intended a small tree? Have you considered a japanese fern tree? Foliage is really pretty and birds love to nest in it. It is a slow to moderate grower and is very easy to train into a shape. I love this little tree and it a very easy grower. I have 3! Also, remember jatropha could be another great option as a small tree and gives blooms year round.

Anna

• ladywingr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anna - I haven't quite decided yet as to size. With the mango being in the center of the yard (it is 30 plus years old), it rather limits to an extent what else can be planted. I also have a large easement for the storm drain that must be considered. I'm leaning toward something flowering, but not locked in to it. I would like to have something for the wildlife.

Lynne - I had to cut back the Song of India when it starting hitting the eaves of the house. In that protected area, it grew tall and strong. I've been gradually increasing the width by sticking the cutting straight in the ground next to the parent, and am getting a nice clump of it going now. I was pleasantly surprised how well it handled being moved this winter when the termite tenters came. I dug it up, stuck it in a pot for a couple months and then just plopped it back in the ground. No problems.

I found my tapioca at Crowley's in Sarasota and it's doing great near the house. Someone else here on GW posted a picture of their's (I'm sorry I don't remember who it was) near their house and I copied the idea. It's working great.

Wonderful ideas and observations folks, thank you!

Terri

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

Baobob Tree...

• sis3
    15 years ago

The comments from all those who love live oaks is like a knife to my heart! We have just had to remove a huge, beautiful live oak that has anchored and softened this property for over 80 years
    As I don't wish to hijack this thread I have started a new one asking for your help in choosing a replacement for our oak. Your opinions would be invaluable to this grateful longtime lurker on this forum.

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

Thanks Terri. I also love being able to make cuttings by just sticking a cut off stalk in the ground. My new spot for the Song of India is sunnier and more protected. I hope that they get to be sturdier.

• alba-mickey
    15 years ago

Of course it will be MICHELIA ALBA, because it's flowers frangant are so good. Also it is so hard to grow it.

• tomkaren
    15 years ago

For me it would be citrus, preferably an Orange. Love the smell of the blossoms and of course the Oranges. We get to many hard cold spells for the sucessful growing of citrus at this coldest part of Citrus County. Can you believe it?

• linchat
    15 years ago

Grapefruit tree. Pretty, blossoms smell wonderful, they taste great and are very nutritions and can offer some shade. How can you go wrong??

• junkyardgirl
    15 years ago

I've given it some thought, and it would have to be a pink grapefruit. You can eat it, juice it, make candy from the rinds, and butterflies breed on it. What else could you want?

Mangos are messy, and I could not possibly eat all the avocados a huge tree would produce.