SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

What do you plant (flowers, mainly) in your winter garden?

sherryocala
13 years ago

I'm seriously thinking about seeds for my fall and winter garden, the main features of which are Old Garden Roses. I'm still in the learning phase of companion plants. Due to my yard being small and having many roses in it, I'd like plants that are wispier and/or tall. I'd like plants that won't be killed by 20 degree temps at night. I have found that dianthus (the kind that mounds) has not seen a night here cold enough or a day hot enough to kill it. And I do like the way they fill in around the feet of the roses. If the plants last until the heat hits, so much the better. I also have a shade bed that has 4 hydrangeas in it, so I'd really like some plants that could grow up through the bare stems and stop this bed from being a winter eyesore. I have evergreen daylilies scattered around that add some green in winter. So tell me your favorites/successes particularly from seed. Buying the many plants I need has gotten very expensive. Please note that I am a beginner at seeds, but I'm very willing to keep trying.

Thanks in advance!

Sherry

Comments (17)