SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floota

AHS Pop Poll : Here are my choices. Have you voted?

floota
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

A few days ago, I voted online for the AHS Pop Poll. The deadline is September 1st. The entire process took about 2 minutes tops. This year it is a little different, as you select from a list of last year's top vote getters from your region, and you may also add up to 5 write-in votes, for a total of 10 votes. My only complaint is that I forgot to print out my selections ( like an idiot!) so now I'm not totally sure what the last two votes were. My current list of registered cultivars is 784, so to pick 10 favorites is always hard! Here were some that I KNOW I voted for. What were your choices this year?

ZAHADOOM -great plant habits, plus vivid unusual color:

{{gwi:677680}}

DANCES WITH GIRAFFES: Still blooming, started in Mid June. Lovely tall, well branched scapes and is a bud builder.

{{gwi:928392}}

OCEAN SPIRIT: one of the loveliest lavenders I've ever seen. Super scapes, great bloomer:

{{gwi:928394}}

LOLA BRANHAM: an old standard, absolutely mesmerizing when in bloom. My favorite UF form, the twisted cascade. Bud count is amazing - have gotten up to 60 buds per scape in past years. Haven't counted this year, but two of the scapes have 6 way branching and I'd guess bud count is close to 60 on each scape.

{{gwi:842284}}

FRINGY is new but has been wonderful. Whether it will make my top 10 poll next year.... we'll see!

{{gwi:928396}}

DOROTHY AND TOTO: just a wonderful double, huge gorgeous blooms, always double, and very special also as it was a gift from Tim Herrington in memory of Katisue.

{{gwi:791562}}

MAGIC OF OZ : With a particular weakness for green throats, how could I not love this one?

{{gwi:852279}}

And of course, no surprise, probably my favorite bloom this year has been ROSE F. KENNEDY. This has been such an amazing bloom!

Drat it, I can't remember the last two. Next year, I will certainly print out the list! Hope some of you will mention your Pop Poll choices, and if you haven't voted yet for 2010, it is extremely easy online. Go to the AHS website and scroll down to Pop Polls. The only requirement is that you are an AHS member.

Comments (35)

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting. I went and voted just now. My choices were-

BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS
    BORDELLO QUEEN
    EL DESPERADO
    MABOU
    MANGO CHUTNEY
    ROCKET CITY
    ROSE FIESTA
    SOUTH SEAS
    SPELLBINDER
    SPIRIT ZONE

I picked ones off the list and this is in aphabetical order.

• Edward_Kimball
    14 years ago

I have no idea yet. I still have daylilies that haven't started to bloom. The only sure things are Siloam Double Classic, Victorian Lace and Key to My Heart. Should I only choose from daylilies in my own garden or include ones from gardens I visited this summer?

Edward

• Related Discussions

AHS Members...

Q

Comments (3)
    Best to contact Sandie, the membership secretary, if you can't remember the password: http://www.americanhostasociety.org/ContactSandieMarkland.html She will be able to verify your membership status and reply with the password. Here is a link that might be useful: Contact Sandie
    ...See More

AHS Garden Judge process

Q

Comments (8)
    Firstly, let me suggest that everyone should join the AHS. You get great color journals and online journal and a discount from quality nurseries if you are a new member. But since not everyone is, here is the list of those plants who are up for the Benedict Medal this year. Just so we are clear the Award is for GARDEN PERFORMANCE. It's not for your personal favorite that grows at a glacial pace or burns in the least bit of sun, (cough, Great Expectations, cough). Here's the list. Each of these has already won an Honorable Mention and an Award of Merit. Which one would you choose for the Benedict Medal. Benedict Garden Performance Medal Vote for (ONE 1), Vote only for cultivars observed in your region and/or national convention gardens.. (Year listed to right of cultivar name indicates first year on ballot at this level.) Atlantis 2012, Olive Bailey Langdon 2011, Blue Angel 2013, Robert Frost 2012, Brave Amherst 2013, Satisfaction 2011, Cathedral Windows 2011, Silver Bay 2011, Hanky Panky 2012, Sum and Substance 2013, JourneyâÂÂs End 2012, Sun Power 2013, Leading Lady 2012, Tiny Tears 2012, Manhattan 2012, Wolverine 2012, Millennium 2012 Happy voting, Steve
    ...See More

Choice #1 Vote for your favorite countertop w/Arabesque

Q

Comments (50)
    Thanks, everyone. #1 is called White Eyes granite. #2 is Kashmir White. In the end, I'm going for Cambria Torquay. Both granite pieces had little freckles. When I showed a small sample to my DIL, she said they looked like drops of dried blood. We were just talking about an attempted murder case, so that's probably what made her spurt that out! I love the first stone especially, but decided to go for a cleaner, more marble look countertop. I will pop color into the kitchen with lots of bright accessories.
    ...See More

Please vote - which granite do you like more with my cabinets?

Q

Comments (54)
    This is sort of like asking what everyone's favorite ice cream is...but I really like the first one best. I think it has a quiet elegance about it with your cabinets and you could have more fun with the backsplash and accessories. To my eye, the second one is too mustardy, but then I did everything I could to keep from getting a lot of yellow in my granite, while I am sure there are others here who strove for that as a goal. So I guess I'm not much help... P.S. I laughed when I read your comment about your husband getting tired of all the indecisiveness and losing the will to live. My husband and I were in Lowes and I was stressing over picking out door hardware...Paul kept telling me to "hurry up and pick something out and let's go!" Finally I snapped back at him and said something like "Just because YOU don't care if the kitchen looks like it was thrown together without any thought... well I do!" Then he said "It only took me fifteen seconds to pick out the garbage disposal!" At which point, I almost pushed him down in the hardware aisle and I spat "Dear God, no one SEES the #@*# garbage disposal!" That was the closest we have come to actual remodeling violence, but I just had to share... Good luck on the counters and have fun! :) Cathy
    ...See More
  • floota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Edward, you can only do 5 write-in votes max and the others will need to be from the list. The good part is, you can pick your favorites! It doesn't matter if they are some you grow or have seen elsewhere. It might be a big help to you to go to the website now and look at the list for your region. You can do that w/o voting. That will help you know which ones are on the list already. I had fully intended to do 5 write-ins, but I found 6 on the Region 3 list that I would have picked anyway, so I only ended up with 4 write-ins.

• Julia WV (6b)
    14 years ago

Hi Julie:
    Thanks for posting.
    How are AHS members knowing about the online voting?

• gonegardening
    14 years ago

Okay, I did it. Thanks for the reminder. I do have to grumble, though...I would have preferred to write in all my choices.

From the preselected list, I chose Bela Lugosi, Flight of Orchids, Peggy Jeffcoat, Webster's Pink Wonder and Yazoo Elsie Hintson. All grow here and all are terrific performers.

I wrote in (and this was really hard...I feel bad that I had to leave off some great plants...), in no particular order, Lovely Pink Lady, Love or Else, Peppermint Pinwheel, Velvet Ribbons and Polar Bear Express. All were just incredible this year...Lovely Pink Lady is still going on rebloom scapes, Polar Bear Express has a few more buds (I think it may be a bud builder) and Love or Else is still going strong as it is later...

I probably would have still kept Flight of Orchids, but I would have written in (if I could have) Ballerina on Ice, Cimarron Rose, Eternal Warrior and Catapult Sam...

Linda Beck and J. T. Davis have just been incredible blooming machines...I think they may have both just finished up. LB might have one more bud...

In the brand new category....Greenway knocked my socks off (it really does have a green edge) and is sending up rebloom scapes. Newer, but not brand new, stars were Violet Becomes You, Cerulean Warbler, and Born to Run...

Okay, I'll stop...so hard....

I'll look forward to seeing what other folks have chosen.

• floota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmm, gonegardening, I was grumbling about that too earlier, but found choices on our Region 3 list that I could live with. I may have put VELVET RIBBONS as another choice. Sure am mad at myself for not printing out my list. The memory's not what it used to be! Will be sure to print out a list next year.

Julia, to answer your question, every single Regional newsletter has published the ballot as well as instructions about how to vote online. I might send a reminder to the big robin, though, as with this different format for 2010, some people may be a little nervous about it. However, it was very easy!

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Well, there was only one on the list that I grow... and it struggled this year, so I wasn't voting for that one. My write ins:

AVA GARDNER
    TOPGUNS KATHY ARTHUR
    BLUEGRASS MUSIC
    CRANBERRY BABY

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

I voted for the following on the preselected list: Ledgewood's Silver Lining, Lemonberry Truffle, Orlando Truffle, Ruby Fantasy, Thin Man, and Tropical Pleasure.

The write-ins included: French Twist, Ledgewood's Stolen Dreams, Shangri La Truffle, and Signature Truffle.

I'm a Garden Judge also, but I don't confuse the voting standards! To me the Pop Poll should be your favorites, using whatever standards please you.

These daylilies are blooming fools and distinctive enough that I truly enjoy them. It wasn't a plan to include so many of the Kirchhoff daylilies on the list. It just happened.

• Julia WV (6b)
    14 years ago

Julie: After quickly browsing the incoming daylily stuff, I put most of the journals and newletters in a pile and read them during what I call 'quiet time'. Haven't had that in awhile so just forgot about it.
    I agree that doing these types of tasks online is so much easier.

Time to think about my choices.

Julia

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Again, what a difference location makes. Ledgewood Daylilies do terribly for me here in my garden. After years of the ones I had struggling, I just don't have them anymore. Oh well.

• floota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rita, this is one reason we have gone to Regional Pop Polls instead of a National Pop Poll. Compiling the results into a National list ( when some regions, esp. 7,8, and 9) have fewer AHS members and participants) is pretty useless because a large Region like Region 2 could have gazillions of people vote for something which does well in Ohio and it could be near the top of a "National" list as a result. But something that does well in Ohio might do terribly in AL or FL. That's why Regional Polls are much more valuable. Especially for those newer to daylilies, people can see what daylilies might do well in their immediate areas.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

And some regions are really big. I mean there is a world of difference in climate between here on Long Island and northern Maine. But we are all the same region.

• FlowerGardener
    14 years ago

Here is the list I selected for our region one.
    'BELA LUGOSI'
    'CHANCE ENCOUNTER'
    'CHORUS LINE'
    'FORESTLAKE RAGAMUFFIN'
    'LIGHT OF THE WORLD'
    'NORTH WIND DANCER'
    'PRIMAL SCREAM'
    'SHERRY LANE CARR'
    'VICTORIAN LACE'
    'WIDE WIDE WORLD'

• maximus7116
    14 years ago

I guess I'm grumbling, too. There weren't any daylilies on the list that would have made my top ten.

Here's what I ended up with:

From the list:

JOAN DERIFIELD
    VICTORIAN LACE
    SWALLOW TAIL KITE
    MARY TODD
    BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS

My top five:

ROYAL PINK TWIST
    WOMEN SEEKING MEN
    WORTH IT ALL
    FOREVER REDEEMED
    VULCAN LOGIC

I was surprised at how many older cultivars were on the list for my region. What does this say about my region?

Chris

• gonegardening
    14 years ago

Lol, Chris....many on ours, too. I think (just my opinion) that it is because the majority of folks do not grow them....yet. Those growing new things and newer things (not quite as new) are not as numerous...

And, while it is simply a popularity poll, to be popular one must be known (and grown)...

I voted for some of those older ones (since I didn't feel I had much choice...more of that grumbling...hehe) because they are still here...which says something...and are great plants.

Also, your region is so huge with so many good hybridizers that I suspect the vote gets diluted (what do I know)...and the oldies rise to the top...

Who knows....maybe next year they'll go back to letting us put our own choices in...Clearly, (laughing) I am not on the same path as the majority in my region...but then, I think the closest I have come on tours to picking a winner (tour awards) is one that came in second runner up!

• floota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Folks, how great that some of you are voting! One reason these Pop poll lists are so skewed in the direction of "older" cultivars ( although I must say that in Reg. 3, OCEAN SPIRIT and DANCES WITH GIRAFFES are two of Margo and Jim's newer and really great ones, probably the only reason they made the top 100 is because Margo and Jim happen to live in this region, they vote in the Pop Poll, and enough other people visit their gardens to see their newer stuff) is that something like 10% of the AHS members qualified to vote end up voting each year. If higher percentages of people vote, maybe a lot of new ones will be added to next year's lists.

For example, I highly doubt that my personal favorite cultivar this year, (and write-in vote) ROSE F. KENNEDY, is likely to get any other votes in region 3 because it is not well distributed yet. I visited over 20 gardens this summer and the only garden I where I saw it was at was Floyd Cove in Fl.! Pat Stamile was actually carrying a bloom of it into his lab when we went back on Sunday and he told me he was getting ready to examine the pollen to see if his conversion attempt had worked. I cannot even imagine what wonders he might get out of Tet RFK!
    I also wonder if the Pop Poll might be brought up again at this year's fall board meeting. Will report if any changes are made!

• ladylovingdove
    14 years ago

I don't belong to the AHS but I have to agree on Fringy. It has bloomed its head off since May 16th and still has another rebloom scape coming. Of course next year could be different.
    I just took this picture this morning, it was so pretty.
    Every time you post a pic of Rose F Kennedy I just drool!!
    Holy cow this picture turned out big, oops.

Dot

• jkayd_il5
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reminder to vote. We are in Region 2. My votes from the selection list went to:

Destined to See
    Joan Derifield
    Primal Scream
    Shores of Time
    Victorian Lace

Write in:

Lone Star Wagon Wheel
    Cool Moon Rising
    Emerald Glow
    Last Snowflake
    Patsy Carpenter

I had to vote for Emerald Glow, she has a big green throat and in the sun really does glow. I have her planted where I can see her when I drive into the driveway and she always makes me smile so she deserves my vote.

My husband is on a duel membership with me and he voted for from the selection list:

Beautiful Edgings
    Heavenly Angel Ice
    North Wind Dancer
    Primal Scream
    Smoky Mountain Autumn

and write ins

Lone Star Wagon Wheel
    Coburg Fright Wig
    Femme de Joie
    Pearl Harbor
    Matt

• Julia WV (6b)
    14 years ago

Made my choices and voted. These are very strong performers for me this year.
    1.'FOOLED ME' -
    2.'FRANCIS OF ASSISI' -
    3.'ORCHID CORSAGE' -
    4.'SOUTH SEAS' -
    5.'SPIRITUAL CORRIDOR'
    6.'STRUTTER'S BALL'
    7.'TRAHLYTA'
    8.'WEB OF INTRIGUE' - new this year but acclimated quickly, sent up multiple scapes and loaded with blooms.
    9.'WEDDING BAND' - Wrote this one in.It is a very strong performer here. Did I tell you I love this one ;-).
    10.'PEARL HARBOR' - Wrote this one in.Another strong performer here.

Two of the ones I do grow that were on the list were LIGHT OF THE WORLD and ED BROWN which need another year to evaluate. ED bloomed perfectly for me but gave me some worries when first emerging in spring. Finally came up and bloomed each bloom perfectly. LIGHT OF THE WORLD is new this year and really didn't have enough time to be evaluated for its performance in a typical growing season.

Julia

• carefreeplants_2008
    14 years ago

I voted for these favorites:

All American Chief
    Ruby Spider
    Wispy Rays
    Beautiful Edgings
    Moonlit Masquerade

And wrote in to vote for:

April LaQuinta
    Oktoberfest
    J.T. Davis
    Malaysian Marketplace
    Mary Alice

My runners up are (sorry, still no vote for you guys, just recognition):
    Autumn Jewels
    Two for the Show
    Darla Anita
    Face Paint
    Creole Moon

• shive
    14 years ago

I can't vote for real because I'm not a member of AHS at the present time. I do think having to pick from a list stinks. Most of the ones on the Region 10 list that I have did not perform as well this year as others I would have listed.

If I were now a member, these would be my five write-ins:

MOONLIGHT SAIL

ADAMAS

RUBY LIPSTICK

EYE ON A STRING

LAST SNOWFLAKE

My five picks from the list would be:

SHORES OF TIME

JULIE NEWMAR

EL DESPERADO

BALI WATERCOLOR

AUTUMN WOOD

Although I really like all five from the list, when I think about my top performers, three from the list did NOT have stellar performance this year. I would rather be able to include SHORES OF TIME and EL DESPERADO and these three outstanding performers that are NOT on the flippin' list.

MISTER BUBBLES

KOKPELLI

SNAKE IN THE GRASS BOO

Floota - That list is simply to constraining. You're among the powers that be in AHS. Let them know some people feel very constrained by this. I would recommend they cut the list picks to three.

Debra

• MaxBaerHems
    14 years ago

AMEN......Debra
    In other words......Politics.....it's in everything......Cryin Shame....it is.

Rick

• Waitforspring
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reminder Julie. I'm one of those people who votes for mostly older varieties because that's what I have.
    From the list I voted for
    Gillian
    Mary's Gold--having its best year ever here.
    Pure and Simple
    Taos
    Truly Angelic

My choices were
    America's Most Wanted--loaded with perfectly opening flowers
    Carolina Orange Glow--new last year and this year had 4 strong scapes with bud counts in the high twenties and every flower opened perfectly.
    Ferengi Gold-more perfect flowers and a rebloom scape.
    Stella's Ruffled Fingers--currently blooming on its second set of scapes and putting up a third.
    Wedding Band--a classic beauty that's having a great year

• njmomma
    14 years ago

well, I guess I can't vote since I'm not a member, but that's for the pics! Magic of Oz looks amazing!

• jkayd_il5
    14 years ago

njmomma, you really should join. I love the quarterly magazines I get from both the AHS and Region 2. You learn so much from the articles.

• northerndaylily
    14 years ago

BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS
    BORDELLO QUEEN
    EL DESPERADO
    MABOU
    MANGO CHUTNEY
    ROCKET CITY
    ROSE FIESTA
    SOUTH SEAS
    SPELLBINDER
    SPIRIT ZONE

I picked ones off the list and this is in aphabetical order. writes Rita.

IMPRESSIVE list of plant habit Rita.. Bordello Queen deserves a Stout Metal.. more later.

• floota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks jkayd for your comment. I'm probably a little prejudiced, as I've been in the AHS a long time now and have made many lifelong friends. But the incentives for joining for that $25 fee - where else can you get a color Journal 4 times a year, your Regional newsletter which comes out 2-3 times a year, and a $25 voucher good at any number of vendors? Our club even gives an AHS membership annually to one new member and hopefully once they see the magazines and get the voucher, they might consider joining again.

When I think of the Professional memberships I used to have to maintain when working - and some of them had dues that ranged from $75-$225 per year. On most, all you'd get ( at best) was a couple of dry, scientific type journals each year.
    The AHS is a good bargain, and for those who get to the place that they might want to learn even more about daylilies, there is the option to become a garden judge and vote for AHS awards like the Stout Medal or you can become an Exhibition Judge and learn how to judge shows. It is all fun! ( well, if you're as addicted as I am, that is.)

• ladylovingdove
    14 years ago

Debra,
    As usual your pics are simply awesome. I don't belong to the AHS, I am one who would not like to vote from ones on a list, what does well for me might not do well for someone else.
    Is Last Snowflake on the list? It should be, even though it didn't rebloom for me this year, it is simply stunning year after year. I think its probably time to divide it.

Dot

• justmetoo
    14 years ago

As I'm not a member, I won't be voting, but did go and check out the poll.

I'd have no problem finding ten from the pre-selected list that I like and that do very well for me. I'd also have no problem entering a number of write-ins. My write-ins would be daylilies bred from my region though and that would leave out some of most favorite ones that do very well but don't appear on the pre-selected list.

For example, Tuscawilla Tigress does extremly well here and does around nine weeks of bloom with it's extended blooming habit, but it's neither on the pre-selected list nor was it bred regional area.

I really like Sears Tower for it's large and tall blooms and brings Chicago to mind for me (can you believe it's called the Willis now ;-0 ). I did find the poll interesting, found I had many on the list of pre-selected for my region.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

northerndaylily- I had no problems just picking ones that were listed because there were so many fabulous daylilies that I have here in my garden on that list.

I do go for the entire package and want a great plant under a pretty face.

• shive
    14 years ago

Dot - I guess Last Snowflake is too new, and not enough Region 2 members have it to put it on the list. So far, I don't have any rebloom scapes on LS. But the first year I had it, I didn't get rebloom until mid-September. So I'm still checking for scapes.

Rita - I'm glad you had enough on your list to choose from. There were plenty on the list that I have in my garden, they just didn't do as well as others this year. I mean I like the flowers, they just wouldn't have made my Top 30 favorites THIS year.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

The ones I picked off the list all did exceptionally well this year. Some were too new last year to make a greatly exceptional preformers list but not too new this year. But it has been a very good bloom season here as the daylilies loved the rain and things might have been here long enough to start to really show off. I expect the preformance on my 'northern' daylilies will get better each year while I think that those warm region bred evergreens I got back in 2007 will mostly stay about the same. There are some that I am really hoping for improvement on but others are doing well.

• carefreeplants_2008
    14 years ago

I was just thinking that maybe the limit of 10 daylilies could be raised to 15 or even 20 daylilies. We got lots of favorites.

Perhaps 5 from the list and then, up to 10 or 15 write-ins...

• Edward_Kimball
    14 years ago

I decided that if Thorhalla is going to impress me it will be after the deadline so I voted. Thorhalla is not near the start of blooming this year so it will be blooming well into September. Anyway,here is my ballot with the last four being write-ins. Mabou and Claudine's Charm are the only ones not in my garden.

Edward
    Region 4

1. 'HEAVENLY ANGEL ICE'
    2. 'JOAN DERIFIELD'
    3. 'LAST SNOWFLAKE'
    4. 'MABOU'
    5. 'NORTH WIND DANCER'
    6. 'VICTORIAN LACE'
    7. 'Claudine's Charm'
    8. 'Cloud Forest'
    9. 'Belle of Ashwood'
    10. 'Belle Cook'
  • floota
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Again, great to see so many of you on this forum voting. Hopefully those of you who are casting write-in votes are helping to get some of your newer favorites on the "Top 100" list for your respective regions for next year. In our region at least, any cultivar that gets at least 2-3 votes has a good chance of being listed in the top 100 for the following year. Sometimes there are 1000 or more cultivars in each region that only get 1 vote each. Any of you who are AHS members, please take a minute to vote before Sept. 1st! Maybe the percentages will be up from the tiny minority who usually votes. That is why you don't see so many new ones on the list - because so many people don't bother to vote!

Several of you have made good comments and suggestions for changes you would like to see in future Pop Polls. If anyone (who is an AHS member) sincerely wants to suggest a change or make a comment about the Pop Poll to the person who can actually do something about it, the person to make the comment to is the AHS Director( Board Member) for your region. These folks are all listed on the AHS website and all have e-mail addresses. The Fall Board meeting is the last weekend in October, so if you have comments or suggestions, please send them to your regional directors before then so that the subject can be brought up at the meeting. The AHS Directors are the folks who have a vote and can make changes to existing policies and procedures!