SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Trying to grow basil indoor

paulsiu
14 years ago

Hi,

I must admit that every plant I have ever grown died horribly in a few weeks, even weeds like lucky bamboo. Recently, I was given a basil plant, so I have trying to keep it healthy. So far, I am not doing so great.

I figured that since basil was from Italy, it would need lots of sun. I placed it on a window sill in direct sunlight. This seemed to have been a good move (I have killed plants in the past doing this).

In the past, I have killed plants by over-watering them, so I have instead underwater the basil initially. During the first week or two, I notice that the basil started to wilt. When I give it water, it always come back. I figured this was probably not good for it. I end up watering it like every two to three days. When I feel the leaves and notice that it's a little limp, I add water. I tried using the "finger method" as mentioned on the web, but the soil seemed a bit too densely packed to do this.

All seems well until I notice that the leaves on the bottom were yellowing. I did some google search and it indicated that it could be from under-fertilizing, but then the search said it could be from over-fertilizing or too much water. I didn't think I was over-watering it, and I haven't added any fertilizer, so I thought it was under-fertilizing. I went out and purchased some house plant fertilzer (Schultz 10-15-10 plant food plus).

Before I fertilized, I notice the leave appears holes and mottled pattern. Leaves were turning brown and dying. This didn't seemed like a nutrition issue at all. I couldn't find any sort of insect, but when I tap the leave over some white paper, I notice little green and brown specks moving around. I am not sure what they were, but I think it's spider mites. Great, now I have an infestion of bugs. They must have came with the plant since I never took it outside.

In any case, I turned the plant upside down over the sink and spray it with the kitchen sprayer to knock off the bugs, then spray the plant with a rubbing alcohol / water mixture. So far, I haven't seen any new bugs, but who knows if I gotten the eggs. I haven't seen any new brown spots.

The problem is that I fertilized the plant and the bottom leaves continues to get lighter and yellow. It's been cloudy for the past week or so, so may be its not getting enough sun. What am I doing wrong here? In any case, I am suppose to prune the basil from the top, but I figure if the bottom leaves are yellowing, it will probably kill the plant.

Please offer advice, since I rather not kill yet another plant.

Paul

Comments (11)