SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noviceherbus

companion additions for herb garden in fall

noviceherbus
18 years ago

I have a very large area which I planted climbing rose bushes to go up the fence in the back of my garden, and wondered if there is a good herb or veggie that would grow really good with roses. I am wanting to make it pretty too, so if it is something that is difficult to grow (like a vine or something that needs steaking, than I will need somehting else. (at least for now) I will probebly put in a few cold season veggies, but as for herbs, I am not sure.....

I am needing ideas for fall plantings all over (not only for rose companion) as I am starting over and going to mulch like crazy now so I dont get a "Grass garden" instead which is what happened this summer. WHat I have so far that is doing ok is: Parsly, 4 types of Basils, margoram, 4 thymes, sage, french tarragon, hyssop, savory, lemon verbena and strawberries. I also threw in a lot of various annuals like cuban oregano, tea tree, scented geraniums and some weird herbs like vietnamese coriander, french sorrel, nicatiana and mexican anise all surrounded by hedge germander. oh and bell and cayenne peppers.and a few sweet 100s which I didn't take real good care of this year with lack of time, but they are still producing. It all looks like a bit of a hodge podge right now, but am wanting to mass plant to cover the large capacity of my area that I set aside for this (way tooo large)project. any suggestions on good herb groundcovers for large areas, good companions and ornamental varieties that will last long, but not drain more of my pocketbook?

Comments (11)