SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timberohio

Is it me or the seeds? (long)

14 years ago

Why are some seeds molding then rotting?

Here is how I started the seeds. Pieces of damp paper towels in small plastic containers with lids. When I started to notice mold on some I removed the paper towel and used a small amount of peroxide/water mixture. This cleared up the mold but within 2 days the seeds rotted. I have been using this method with all my seeds.

Here are my results using the same method.

I purchased 3 different crosses on the LA from one seller. Seeds were refrigerated, don't know how long. Out of 18 seeds I have 7 still hanging in there, 11 rotted. I'm not holding out much hope for the remaining 7. Here are the crosses. Isle of Man x Wedding Gown; Mort Morss x Fantastic Fringe; and Purple Badger x Malcolm David Brooker Jr.

I also purchased 2 different crosses from another seller on the LA. These were refigerated a min of 2 weeks. I have a 100% germination rate with those seeds. 39 babies in their little greenhouse. Here are the crosses purchased. Black Ambrosia x Ruby Pearl Sullivan & Elequent Cay x Bas Relief.

Of my seeds that I harvested only the seeds that were crossed with the dl Watermelon Taffy rotted. Which I thought was odd. All my other seeds are still firm and I've had about half of those germinate. They were not refrigerated.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is. Is it me or the seeds? I don't think I'm doing it wrong or I wouldn't have any seedlings right now. Could it be that the seeds from the 1st seller are just bad? They were a little wrinkled but plumped up before they rotted.

I chalked up my harvested seeds rotting to Watermelon Taffy not being a viable parent. Could it be that the 3 crosses I purchased from the 1st seller had 3 parent plants that weren't viable?

I'm so confused.

Andrea

Comments (10)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012