SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hayla_gw

Basil leaves have black tiny spots that look like insect feces

hayla
9 years ago

Hi!

I have been growing my basil plants for a few months now (since April). Some plants I grew from seeds and some I bought from the supermarket, and just repotted them. They have been growing really nicely and producing much foliar growth, until about 2 weeks ago, I started getting some leaves with black tiny dots. These dots started out in just a few leaves, but then eventually spread to all of the leaves. No other plants were affected, only the basils. I have tarragon and rosemary beside and they look fine.

These black dots also come off when I rub the leaves with my fingers. I checked the underside of the leaves and there were no spider mites, aphids, or any sort of bugs. The only thing I saw was on a leaf, there were some very very small larvae, almost transparent white, crawling. That was the only leave with any bugs on it.

I keep my basil plants on the windowsill, in a wooden box, where there is always sunlight. Room temperature is kept at about 25-28C, and I water when the soil is dry (every 2 days or so). The basil plants have also started to have wooden stems, so I trim them often to keep them looking bushy. It could be some kind of fungal infection, but the soil is dry and the roots look perfectly healthy.

Whatever this is, it only affects the leaves. Please can anyone help me? I want to save my basil plants and save the effort of replanting everything.

Thank you very much in advance!!

Comments (28)