SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nygardener

Can parsley bolt in its first year?

nygardener
18 years ago

I guess I'm confused about parsley's growth habit. I know it's classified as a biennial, which means it produces foliage in its first year and flowers and dies in its second. But I have a dozen parsley plants I bought from a nursery and planted in April that are now starting to bolt. When I bought them they were stocky and about 4 to 6 inches (10-15 cm) tall  not huge. We've had crazy weather, including lots of heat (upper 80's °F / low 30's °C), rain, and humidity lately, which set in suddenly after a much cooler spring. Can these conditions cause parsley to bolt in its first year? Can it flower in its first year if it's started from seed too early in winter? Or are these last year's plants that the nursery overwintered and sold as new starts?

I'm cutting out the fat central stalks to delay flowering and will probably harvest them all next week. I'll replace them with new starts for use later in the season. But I'm pretty annoyed and disappointed that my summer supply of this herb looks to be on its way out.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths