SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valentinetbear

What have I done to these poor lavenders?!

valentinetbear
18 years ago

I've been trying for many years, on and off again since I was a preteen (I'm 49) to grow lavender, and they've always died on me. Well, shock of my life -- they're growing this year! Holey Schmoley! (I lost the little tags, so can't even tell you which types -- sorry!)

I'm growing them in a four teired wooden "container" (that doesn't really contain well or give much room for the plants to grow) along with the rest of my herb choices. The slots are thin and the plants are quite a bit bigger then I thought they would grow -- spreading out and rising a couple of feet each.

Now the problems:

1.) Do I need to transplant? (My garden is nothing but containers, since my backyard is cemented.) If so, which size pots? I've read that they shouldn't get much taller, but might increase in width.

2.) Will they survive the winter? We live in a rowhome with only east and wesy windows, so keeping them inside will be difficult.

3.) I've tried learning about caring for them online, but didn't find much, so I'd also like to know how to make more plants for next year, if they survive this year.

Sorry for being so naive, but I have been searching the Internet for the last three hours trying to find info without asking, but have only learned about the soil and lack of water and fertilizing it needs. (Strangle, I've also been watering them every night too, so am guessing the only reason they are thriving so well is because this teired container does lose water and soil so easily.) Any help is appreciated.

Lynn

Comments (9)