SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Help - injured squirrel

SaintPFLA
16 years ago

Hi everyone! Major dilemma here...regarding my little 'pet' squirrel.

Yes, I know...the nemesis of the bird feeder - the squirrel.

As for me, I don't mind them so much. In fact, my 'favorite' little girl squirrel that I have cultivated a friendship with is injured - badly.

Over about a year, I have been hand feeding her peanuts and now when she sees me, she runs up to me for a treat.

She disappeared for a few months and I thought, well, that was "it". But, showed up a couple of days ago, half starved. She practically climbed into my lap, she was so relieved to see me. I was able to see that the right side of her jaw is bulging out, healed scars on her back and what looks like a big cut over her nose area. I 'think' she has a healed broken jaw. It seems like she survived a cat attack.

I have been feeding her bread (which has sunflower seeds and other ground nuts in it) and some 'home made' nut butter (walnut & cashew...). I read online they cannot tolerate salt-- after I had been feeding her peanutbutter. Oops.

Okay, I realize this is hardly an 'ideal' diet, but I'm trying to keep her from literally starving to death because she has such difficulty chewing.

She trusts me so much, to the point that I have to watch where I walk so I don't kick or step on her accidently as she is always by me in the yard. She even lets me pat her and waits by my backdoor to be fed.

This behavior is all new. Before she was injured, she was friendly but, not 'clinging' to me like she is now.

I have researched online for diets for squirrels and there is not much information for diets for injured squirrels.

Plus, I am a bit concerned that her potential survival outlook is not good. :(

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Comments (25)