SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margar02

Basil indoors (please forgive Newb-ish-ness!)

Margar02
12 years ago

Hi there, I'm totally new to growing anything whatsoever and in need of some help. Apologies in advance for simple questions. :(

So I bought a basil plant at the grocery store, and had it in my apartment for about 10 days before I knew I needed serious help. It got wilty and limp...

So I re-potted it in a 5 inch terra cotta pot with a hole and plate, in organic potting soil. I also got some vegetable/herb plant food which I mixed and was planning on giving every 2 weeks...

My main concern is this:

I have it in a sunny window (SW-Facing) it gets sun from about 1-8pm in the summer in NE ohio.

But I'm concerned about the fact that it got quite leggy in the duration of time that I knew nothing about basil. I have 3 stalks that are at least 5 inches long before any leaves, and then about 4 more stalks that are much smaller.

What should I do?? What should I do about the really leggy stems? Do I cut them off completely? do I cut them after the first 2 leaves? I don't want a tall, leggy, sparse plant.

AND about freezing- I'd like to make pesto at some point... should I just periodically harvest the mature leaves and freeze them until I have enough to make pesto??

I'm 100% new to any type of gardening so please be patient and forgive my newbishness :(

Comments (7)