SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junelynnky

Need your help! Found a bargain!!!

junelynn
14 years ago

When driving and doing my Saturday Morning chores (farmer's mkt, library, Lowe's for rootone), I had to go by Dollar General to get some toothpaste and a nice plastic tub for all my canning gear, lids in boxes, pectin and such. Nearby is an antique store and a small used furniture store, off the main road. They buy stuff at estate sales, but nothing fancy. Just useful items, as it's a very small place. Leaning more and more towards PRESTO.

Now, mind you, I don't have a pressure canner and have been pricing them and debating. Even watching the bids on EBAY, as this year I would like to can more than just jams and tomatoes.

Inside the furniture store I found an old 15.5 quart ALL-AMERICAN pressure canner!! They guy and I worked on the knobs. Got them loose and separated them, but couldn't get the lid off. Discovered there were three bayonet clamps with screws (one clamp was missing). Still couldn't get the lid off. He finally hammered the top protruding part of the lid from the bottom protruding part and wa-la, it came off.

Inside, it had oxidized on the bottom to a funny white paste in "dots" which were creamy (yuck). It has the vent pip and gauge on top.

It was marked $10!!!! Since we had such a time with it and it was missing a part,(and as I played up that I 'really wasn't sure about it...hmmmm....I "hmmm'd" a lot, didn't know if I could get the part (I said verbally)...and I didn't know for sure, due to it's possible age, but now I know after checking their website)....I asked if he would take $8 for it. He said, "Sure". (He had no earthy idea of how much they run in price. I could tell).

I searched the internet on how to clean cast aluminum but came up empty handed. I did find that you can clean the oxidation with vinegar and water. It's all over the bottom of it inside. How can I clean it so the lid doesn't stick so badly? It's not as bad as it was since opening and closing a few times, but it's been sitting for a while and just needs some loving attention. Is there a way I can find out it's age? I did look on All-American's web site but it doesn't have a stock number or anything on the bottom. Just, "WISCONSIN ALUMINUM NO. 7, ALL AMERICAN MANITOWOC WIS. 15 1/2 QTS. FOUNDRY CO. INC, then a small number 45 outside of the circle below the description.

The gauge is very tight. I don't dare remove it. I will take the whole lid to the county extension, and maybe the whole pot if you folks think I should.

I'm am excited about this find, but with caution. If it's a dud, I'm not out that much. One thing I would NOT challenge is a pressure canner!

Thanks for any feedback. I am excited and will be moreso if I hear good news from you!!

June Lynn

Comments (8)