SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_md_gw

Need Help Growing Marjoram , Have Problems

brenda_md
15 years ago

I have had problems with growing marjoram for the past few years. Once planted, it eventually starts to turn more yellow and does not stay a good healthy green color.

When I first put this herb garden in about 12 years ago, there was never any problem. Just the last five years or so. I was told the shredded mulch may be making the soil too acid, so I started adding some lime to the soil which really did not do much for it. So now I really don't put any fresh mulch around the plants and even leave it pulled back from them, but they still don't look great. I also have this problem with the basil too and the stems will also start to get woody which seems to shorten the life of the plants. So I definitely keep the mulch back from them. I know herbs don't like to be overly fertilized, but I have tried feeding them some with a combination of fish and seaweed fertilizer when this happens to see if it helps.

All of my perennial herbs do just fine. Any suggestions here? I have actually thought about just planting the marjoram in pots, but that sort of defeats the usage of the herb garden plot. Maybe others do not feel you need to mulch, but it seems the only reasonable way to help conserve soil moisture. I live in Maryland and it can get pretty hot during the summers, as it has been the past few days, not to mention some years with drought.

Comments (4)