SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thyme_waits_for_me

Making a drainage hole in ceramic pot

16 years ago

Hi. I've been lurking and learning here for a month now and this is my first post. I'm new to (herb) gardening and have learned at least 3/4 of what I know from reading all of your wonderful highly informative posts.

All of my gardeing is done in containers on my balcony. I had been growing parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, catnip, oregano, spearmint, and french tarragon all together in a large self watering container. The parsley, the two mints, and the thyme all became gigantic; all the other mediterranean herbs have done all right, but were comparatively less slow growing, and starting to get their sunlight blocked out by the ones that were thriving. After reading numerous posts on here to educate myself, I decided to repot everything in its own container to best suit each herb's individual needs.

I placed my spearmint in an 8 inch ceramic pot with a single drainage hole in the middle. It is seriously drooping over (now I 'get' why y'all preach that those things are useless!!!) I really like the pot and would like to try using my drill to make additional drainage holes. The pot has an attached saucer. I'm looking for advice on the best way to go about doing this so that I might have success on my first try without breaking the pot (type of bit to use and anything else I should know). Also, if I should skip trying to drill and consider something else, I would like to hear your ideas on that too. Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)