SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

A visit to Karols Springwood Gardens pt1

silverkelt
13 years ago

Had a very lovely time with Karol, she was evaulating her seedlings a year after placement into the ground and had a friend there helping.. I could have spent hours and hours and took even more pictures, hard to narrow it down.

I took as much time as I thought was right from her, didnt want to be overbearing. But I really did enjoy the time I had, we have different eyes on daylily though. She might be one of the very best at deep purple/reds for northern climates out there.. but nary a pink or a pink blend to be found. A few yellows, (one that is just gorgeous, but shes not releasing it, and maybe 2 oranges out of 20k seedlings.. thats fine I guess, they are HER babies afterall.

I almost do not know where to start.. BTW these are are seedling pictures.. she did have a smattering of her releases but they are all over the place, and some of them are not looking there best becuase they have been lined out for increase or moved around. She only has 1-200 named dayliles and most of those are hers. She does incorporate a few it appears that she really wants to use here and there throughout the garden.

Her place is very impressive and she has done a great job, its all daylilies here though.. no other perennials for Karol.

This is actually a side entrence, we didnt know where to park at first and I just wanted to get into the gardens! lol

Her view, LET me tell you, the mixture of dayliles fragrance from so many and when the wind kicked in the sweet smell of corn ripening in the fields below her would mix.. Very nice

In aspects of her seedlings.. they are so complex, after talking to her about 20 of them I gave up trying to remember.. she showed me lines out of kingdom without end and desire of nations.. two I have several crosses out of that should bloom next year. But on her side, she might be going back 3-4 seedling generations to get something she wants.

Im just going to post some I found outstanding.. some of these she said might be released, others she has found flaws.. I agreed on some, others I didnt dare try to contridict her, but I almost did , lol.. she was bummed about scape counts on 4 year old seedlings, but when I tryed to point out it still shows with over 20 buds on the orginal scape, she didnt seem to care and told me they would probable be moved out..

This one might have a shot.. but she said she already has some better deeper edged ones

This one was just a lovely clump

This shows about 2/3rds of her seedlings

She didnt like the sepals as much on this one.. I kinda agreed but it still was very pretty

This one she liked and so did her friend, they snapped it off and started comparing it around.. they found similiar ones.. but nothing with this big with this great of form and better coloring.. it got a PINK flag from her.. which means its might be introduced

Another possible future.. the sepal was a little releaxed today on it.. but it does stand WAY out in the seedling fields, you cant help but jump your eyes to it

I strolled around twice to see everything and I didnt

Her reds are just some of the BEST

Another possible..

End of part one.. more later..

Silverkelt

Comments (7)