SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natives_and_veggies

gardenia revived by beans

Y'all remember my request for suggestions for something to replace the *&(-/! gardenia that always got bugs and was "growing" smaller?

Well, before pulling it out, I planted some green beans underneath it, figuring it could be a trellis while I decided what to put there (I'm one of those goofy gardeners who sticks tomatoes in the hedge and broccoli in the flower bed. but hey, there are heliconias in the veggie bed!)

So now, the dang gardenia is looking beautiful, with lots of nice, large, healthy new leaves, and no bugs. I know beans are nitrogen fixers, but that's about all I know. Could it be I should have been fertilizing with some sort of more nitrogen-heavy stuff? Once the beans die, how should I try to keep it happy? And anyone heard of green beans driving away bugs?

(the beans don't produce terribly well in the morning sun/afternoon shade where the gardenia is, in case anyone is wondering. They're doing much better in the afternoon sun areas in the actual veggie bed, and in the flower bed on the other side of the yard.)

Comments (16)