SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iancanada

Oh no... What's going on here?

IanCanada
9 years ago

We recently bought a tropical Hibiscus in late spring/early summer, Vancouver B.C.. It worked very hard and bloomed regularly all summer. We kept it in a window facing southeast (Condo), and it seemed to really like the morning direct sun, followed by all day indirect light. I watered it regularly and it seemed to love it. We put it in a new, larger pot with the styro popcorn at the bottom (no drain hole, I know). After a period of wilting in its new home, the plant perked up and seemed to adjust well to its new home.

As the days grew shorter, I began to water less. About a week ago, it started to produce a few more yellow leaves than normal, which then began to brown and die off. I diligently inspected the plant for pests, and found nothing. Since most of the leaves yellowing were older leaves, I didn't feel all that concerned, and thought it was just winding down for winter. Then, in the last couple of days, the plant just suddenly began wilting like mad all over. I was a bit concerned that I had overwatered, so I've checked the soil by sticking my finger down about three inches. The soil is moist, but the roots I've uncovered don't look brown and rotting.

Is it overwatered and dying, or just getting ready to sleep for winter? Or something else?

Comments (4)

Sponsored