SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ksrogers

French Tarragon and its total Lifespan

ksrogers
15 years ago

Would like to know how long the French Tarragon lasts outdoors when planted in zone 6. Last year, I bought what was supposed to be French T, but was not, as it had almost no taste or smell. I left it to die out, and this spring it shot up new green shoots. I pulled the clump up, as it wasn't to my liking. I bought some French Tarragon plants from Richters this year, just 3, and they are quite small. I want to plant two outside in the same place as the other poor tarragon was growing, and put the third plant I got, into a 6 inch pot, so I can bring it indoors for the winter. Several years ago, I was given a free French Tarragon plant and left it outdoors, but in a pot. It was taken indoors before any frosts, and had died back once the winter set in. I kept it on a window sill above my kitchen sink. I kept watering it all winter and the following spring about 8 new shoots started to sprout up. Once they were big enough, I cut into the root mass and seperated the clump into 3 pieces. Two were planted outside, and the third was left in the pot. They all survived the seperation quite well. The SECOND year (spring), none of the French tarragon had shown any signs of life, neither the outdoor plants, nor the one in a pot for the indoor winter. I read someplace where these only have a two year lifespan, but how would they survive and create new plants, if they had only two growing years? You can't start these from seeds, and rooted cuttings might be possible, but there again they would have to be new cuttings every two years. Correct me if I am wrong.

My thyme, started from seeds indoors, from last years spring planting is now got a few small flowers. It survived quite well here. I'm hoping to plant some of the Tarragon near it, but want to be able to see it survive without having to buy new plants every two years if possible..

Comments (11)