SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ionicrain

Any One for a Pollen Trade

16 years ago

I have some named Dl Cultivars and some seedlings. I am looking to trade Pollen or send a SASE. Newest Additions. 'Bridgeton Cloisonne' ' Bridgeton EyeCatcher' 'Dunrobin Red Velvet' 'El Desperado' 'Bridgeton Brocade' 'Joan Senior' 'Bonaza' 'Golden Gate' 'Who's your daddy' 'Magic Lace'

Comments (16)

• 16 years ago

Boy, next year I should have pollen up the bazoo with all the stuff I have been adding this year.

I still don't get how you can mail pollen and its any good. When you hybridize don't you have to get the pollen early in the day and then use it?

• 16 years ago

Correct Rita, You do collect pollen early in the day sometimes before the anther even opens. You collect the Stamen from the cultivar or cultivars you want to store pollen from and you then remove the anther from the filament. Then you must let the pollen mature and dry. When this stage is complete you are ready for storage phase. Left in the open pollen stays viable for roughly a week. In the refrigerator for weeks. Now if dried properly and stored in a freezer can be used for years to come. There are reports of daylily pollen being frozen for 9 years and still being viable when thawed. This is an excellent way to cross the lates with the extra earlies.

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Veggies and tomatoes any one want to trade?

Q

Comments (2)
    Love to trade some veggies!! I'm interested in : Red warty thing � Husband calls this one Big Dark Red Lumpy Punky It grew to be about 20 pounds and is a great tasting pumpkin with a good amount of sweet flesh and a nice seeds. Skin is really lumpy warty. Galeux d�Eysines--- flat and squat, and the hard skin of the mature fruit is salmon-pink and covered with warts resembling peanut shells. . The orange flesh is fragrant and quite sweet. great for pumpkin butter because of the sweet flavor and texture ...weighs about 10 to 15 pounds Golden hubbard � huge over 20 pounds great taste Baby blue hubbard 6-10 pound great taste and pretty prolific Buttercup- great prolific little solid squash with green skin and bright orange flesh Please check my trade list and let me know if you are interested in anything! Jessica garden_n_mom
    ...See More

any one trade with smitycat for lantana?

Q

Comments (0)
    i would love some of this plant, i had some for years and some painters killed it, it is the only lantana plant that is hardy in ny winters. very open to trade, let me know what you might need. thanks cath
    ...See More

Would any one be interested in starting up Artist Trading Cards?

Q

Comments (1)
    There are thousands of them for sale on EBay.
    ...See More

WANTED: Pollen trade - Holiday Cactus/Epi cactus

Q

Comments (1)
    Karen99, I would love to trade pollen/cutting with you. I clicked on your page and I cant email you. You can email me if you want to. Grantgarden2
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

I don't know as I have desireable pollen,but to answer the shipping thing,I would ship the same way my mom gets her insulin.Overnight in an insulated mailer with a cold pac. It is just a bit costly,but gets there by noon the next day.Of course this is assuming(yeah,I know)that the pollen has to be frozen or cold once dried to be viable at a future date.

Betsy

• 16 years ago

Pollen if not frozen or kept cold will last a week in normal temps. There is no cold pack needed while shipping pollen if the delivery time is under a weeks time. Most packages within the united states gets from one place to another within a weeks time. So if you was going to pollenate using the newly aquired pollen i would use as soon as possible from time received. Though it is a feasable option that there will be some viable pollen after a weeks time frame has expired. So you can still using the freezing process to try and salvage whatever remaining pollen is left. So if anyone is interested in learning more or in a pollen trade before the remaining wonderful blooms have died this year. Please inquire.

• 16 years ago

Thank you for clearing that up.I do have a couple of questions. Can you remove the anther before it opensand exposes the pollen grains? How long does it take to mature and dry?I'd like to know for sure if I have been doing it right.If I have anything you are looking for,I would be glad to send you some.Did you have any specific cultivars in mind?

Betsy

• 16 years ago

You can indeed remove the Stamen before the pollen channel opens and exposes the pollen grains. Once you have removed the stamen you can then proceed to slide your thumb and pointer finger up the filament to remove the anther from the filament. Next step is placing it on or in something that is opened to the air for the anther to mature as well as the pollen. Most cases you can leave the pollen exposed to open air for about 8-12 hours more or less depending on cultivar and temps. I place mine anthers on a piece of plain printer paper to dry. When the pollen is light and fluffy I then transfer the pollen to the 1.5 ml micro centrifude tubes for freezing. Collecting and storing pollen this way as I stated earlier can be saved and viable for years and years. Reportly up to 9 year old pollen has stayed viable and successfully set pods.

• 16 years ago

this is so interesting to me---I breed dogs and this year I had my first frozen seaman litter---the sire has been gone for over 12 years now---I have collected my studs for the future----We do chilled seaman all the time---much easier to send the seaman to the Female's owner, than to have to ship the dogs because of weather ect---
    I'll be up for trade---hopefully within a year or so--cole

• 16 years ago

Thank you,ionocrain. I am doing it right.I am so glad you posted this trade idea.I have collected from all of my blooms so far this year and have some from last year.Do you want me to make a list and send it to you?Or do you want fresh pollen only? I don't know the best thing to do here. You will have to tell me the way a pollen trade is done.

cole-I'm up for it too.

Betsy

• 16 years ago

I'll keep you posted on what DLS I get Betsy and ionocrain---cole

• 16 years ago

A list would be fine to compile. Ionicrain@aim.com.

• 16 years ago

OK, so I was reading in the daylily book I ordered from the AHS alittle on how to do crosses. They were saying collect pollen by just mushing some into a gellatin capsule. Then you can store the capsure or you can go to the pod parent you have selected and just put the capsule with pollen over the gitchy (can't remember name) and just make sure it touches and that would be it.

So who has gellaten capsules laying around? Certainly not me. I wonder if you could buy them on the internet? If I understand this method correctly, it also has the benefits of not defaceing the flower.

I haven't been faster in responding to this post because I don't have any pollen really until next year.

Of course Pandoras Treasure and Continental Holliday are both open today but they are the only two.

• 16 years ago

Ok, I just went and looked. The pollen is light and fluffy even thought its 2:30 in the afternoon and you are supposed to do this in the morning.

Why can't I just take a Q-tip and collect the pollen on the cotten swab?

• 16 years ago

I tried the Q-tip thing first on a no name daylily I had blooming to see if the pollen would pickup. It did so I stuck it on the pollinating part of the same flower just to see if there was enough pollen and to see how it was done. It worked.

So I did Continental Holiday and Pandoras Treasure pollen collecting the same way. I noticed after I got the pollen on the Q-tips that the pollen is a deep gold color. Does this mean it is on the way to going bad?

Also after I tried it this way, it was too late to actually go pluck the anthers as suggested pollen picking. I guess its no big deal as I am just messing around here.

I lightly wrapped the Q-tips in plastic wrap and stuck them in my fridge. Are they no good, should I throw them out? Both Pandoras Treasure and Continental Holiday each have one more flower to open and then they are going to be done.

• 16 years ago

Several years ago, I bought pollen on the Lily Auction. It was frozen and packaged very well. I bought it from a very reputable source and he doesn't sell pollen any more. It didn't take on anything I put it on. Buyer Beware.

• 16 years ago

newyorkrita: I first collect the anthers on the stamens. Separate them, let the pollen dry on an envelope, sometimes all day. I then put the dry pollen/stamens in a zip lock baggie with a Q-tip, especially if I am going to pollinate the next day. I attached a sticky label with the pollen parent's name on it on the ziplock. It either goes to the refrig or freezer. The next morning, I get it out, let it sit for fifteen/twenty minuets, shake it around and go out and pollinate. Has been very successful for many years with that method. I haven't tried to mail it to anyone. Seems like the pollen might get smooshed. Guess it would depend on what type of receptical it was mailed in.

• 16 years ago

It's usually the heat that will do the pollen in when it is mailed. Or if frozen like carmen received, moisture from thawing and making the pollen wet.

Brooke