SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottmudge

Where to buy and how much land?

scottmudge
15 years ago

Hello!

I am currently a college student studying organic & sustainable crop production (yes, that's actually a major here!), and do not want to get a job that supports the untenable consumerist economy when I graduate. I've always wanted to move back to the land, and homesteading/permaculture is extremely attractive to me.

Unfortunately for most youngin's like me, land equity is completely skewed, and there is no way for me to accrue any amount of reasonable income to purchase my own land in a timely fashion.

But, to my great appreciation, my parents have put forth a great amount of time and effort to build our family's wealth and prosperity. My mother is looking to diversify our assets by purchasing some land, and I have convinced her that land with utility (i.e., farm land) is far more useful and practical than land in a suburb or city.

So here we are. I have the knowledge of how to grow crops in an organic and sustainable fashion, but not much knowledge on -where- to grow them. I have an understanding of USDA zoning and whatnot, but as far as building an integrated agroecosystem, I'm not sure where the best place to go would be.

I would like to avoid places with polluted water sources (Tennessee, for example) and heavy populations (I prefer isolation to constant company), but also somewhere where land is not overly expensive (around 150-250k range).

I was also wondering how much land would be required to sustain a small family (3-5 people), and also a few animals (e.g., a horse or two, dogs, etc).

So if anyone had any suggestions, that would be great!

Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor