SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golfwidow_gw

Really Stupid Questions from Novice - Please help

golfwidow
17 years ago

We recently bought a very old house (110 years) with an extremely overgrown yard. I have it on good authority that nothing has been done in the yard for eight years so that gives you an idea of the growth we're dealing with. There are times I feel like I've been given the key to 'The Secret Garden'. I'm finding all sorts of plants I've never dealt with and one of them is a lovely, old hardy hibiscus 'grove'. I didn't know it was there until we removed some grape vines that had taken over a huge section of the yard and a couple of trees. It appears that there were two original hibiscus plants and the growth pattern has developed to eight, one and a half inch trunks. The plants are 8 to 10 feet tall and have taken off like crazy and are blooming their little hearts out since they were rescued from the grape vines.

Stupid questions:

1. Is "hibiscus tree" a special plant or is it just a large old hibiscus? If there is a difference, how do I know which I have? These plants definitely fit the small tree category.
  2. How severely should I prune them back this fall and is there a specific way to prune them? They haven't been tended for years and I don't want to send them into shock.
  3. There are some white spots with holes on the lower branches that appear to be some kind of leaf shot. I removed the more infected branches and the new growth is clean and healthy. Is this something common to hibiscus, or perhaps something caused by them being choked and robbed of sunshine, and should I worry about it? (Always looking for something to worry about!)
  4. Is there a specific fertilizer that hibiscus particularly like? Is it necessary to feed them?

I'll appreciate any and all advice you can send my way.

Thanks, Lyn

Comment (1)

Sponsored