SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gaildalmat

black racers and turtle pond and fish tank

Gail Dalmat
15 years ago

Thanks to Felix and Marcia for the suggestion to post here!

We've lived in western Orlando for three years. Technically, Clarcona-Ocoee area. I've got one of those small black round tub ponds (maybe 25 gallons) and someone gave me two turtles (red-eared sliders). I know they're invasive, and illegal to release, breed, etc. in Florida since 2007. BUT my "pond" is inside our screen room/lanai. Usually I keep turtles in a tank indoors. But I thought they'd like to be outdoors for the summer. One's 1 1/2", the other about 3" across. The only large predators that come inside the screen room are black racers and yellow rat snakes. Would they go "fishing" in this small pond, either for a turtle, or a fish? Also, what if I move our fish tank outdoors for the summer (while we do some interior renovations)? Will a snake climb up and go fishing in a 20- or 30-gallon tank?

I have to say, last year we had a beautiful little mouse up in the ligustrums by the Florida room window. Huge eyes and ears, I think it was a Gopher Mouse. Darn if the big black racer didn't climb the ligustrums all the way up into the rain gutters, and then, when the mouse spooked and bolted down out of the tree, the black racer followed it, like a bolt of lightning. We never saw the mouse again, and I assume the snake got it.

Comments (2)