SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miscindy_gw

Dream vs reality

miscindy
15 years ago

Here's my dream: Purchase 10-20 acres, wooded, maybe part cleared. Have a new home built-1 story, finished basement and some special features built in such as place off the garage for a generator for emergencies, safe room etc . . . The house will be modern in terms of electricity, well water, propane tank, satellite tv etc . . . I will plant a medium-large garden and have berry bushes and a few fruit trees. Someday, when all is settled, I'd like to get a few chickens.

We're thinking about building the house in about 5 years. At that point I will have about 12 years left of teaching until retirement and a pension. My husband will work full time as well. Our children attend public school.

The area we are looking at is very rural and about 30 minutes from the city where I work.

I've never lived in a rural setting like this, so I'd like some information from people who live in a way similar to what I've described. What's different about living in the country with cows as neighbors, having well vs. city water, propane tank vs. natural gas? What adjustments might be difficult or unexpected for a suburban woman?

My husband and I have been dreaming of this move for about 5 years, and now are getting closer to actually doing it. I've become obsessed lately--can't concentrate on anything at home or work other than looking at property, reading about homesteading, learning how to make things homemade, crocheting, canning, gardening etc . . . Help bring me down to reality!! I still need to live in my suburban, working-mom life for a few more years!

Comments (24)

Sponsored