SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ejh805

First Time Herb Grower. Questions about soil for particular herbs

ejh805
11 years ago

So, I'm completely new to gardening. Everything I've tried in the past has died, probably due to my lack of resources.

It's now getting warm out and I decided to give it another shot. I bought 2 rosemary, sweet mint, sweet basil, greek oregano, and italian flat-leafed parsley. All of these are already plants (didn't want to try starting from seeds. The only one that is decently large is the sweet basil (roughly 12in tall).

I live in a second floor apartment with a balcony that gets a ton of sun. So, I will be planting all of these in pots. I've already transplanted my rosemary plants (my favorite!). They are around 6in tall each. They're in a pretty large plastic pot with lots of drainage holes. For their soil, I used 3 parts miracle grow cactus soil to 1 parts pearlite. Will this work well? And do I need to add a slow-release fertilizer?

As for the mint, basil, oregano, and parsley, they where impulse buys and I do not really know much about what kind of soil composition they require. I know how moist etc the soil needs to be, how much sun they need, and how often to harvest (lots of googling). But I was wondering if I could possibly get some more personalized info from some of you more experienced growers. What brand of soil works best? What do I need to mix in? What percentages of each (like how I did 3pts cacts soil to 1pts pearlite).

I live in Alabama in zone 8b.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, and will clarify details if needed.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!