SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missylin_gw

should I plant a hibiscus in this location?

10 years ago

I have been given differing opinions from nurseries on what to do, and was glad to find this forum. I live in zone 9b in Florida. On the rather narrow bed on south side of my house I had a row of hibiscus and 2 other scrubs. The shrubs were taken out last month and one hibiscus which was very old was also taken out. These were the three closest shrubs to the front yard, so most easily seen. On the spot closest to the front of the house (still on the side though) I wanted to plant a seminole pink hibiscus. My favorite local nursery suggested that a Seminole pink likes to get too tall and for that spot I would be better off with a more compact type of shrub so that my other hibiscus could be more easily seen. And also I would prefer not such a tall shape there, but a more rounded shape. Today I was looking for more varieties of Hibiscus at two other nurseries. Seems they all have about the same ones. The one nursery said I could prune the Seminole pink to keep it in the shape I wanted. So I bought it. now I think I made a mistake. What I want is a compact shrub that I can keep in sort of a roundish shape no more than 5 feet high or so. But I want big showy flowers that you can see far away because that side of the house is mainly seen from the street or front yard, even by me. Suggestions? Should I return the seminole pink? Help! I need to decide soon as it needs to go into the ground or be returned. Thank you so much.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths