SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miz_p

does a little bit of butter mean no canning my soup??

Miz.P
10 years ago

Sugar.. you guys never talk about sugar in your soup..

ok, I shouldn't say never.. I only read the one thread from '06 about canning any soup .. which ended with rogue canner johndeergirl going off to can pasta/ meatloaf supprise...
but I need some help.. fairly new to canning, did alright with the jam & jelly stuff, got a pressure canner, I am a bit gun shy on that..

the post I was reading told someone that using 3Tbs of butter & 1/2 cup oil was enough to make it unfit for canning due to fat encapsulating ickys ..

I have a garden tomato soup that comes entirely from store bought cans except for the 2 onions I sauteed in about 2Tbs butter & 2ish Tbs olive oil.. does this make it a freezer only batch??
and .. well I put sugar in everything (makes up for the tonic I don't drink) .. this batch of almost 2 gal has about 3cups sugar..
I'm taste testing it at a pritty good clip but there is going to be enough to can .. if I should be able to, would I be able to use water bath? in reality there is a lot less sugar than in the jam .. but now I'm worried about the butter.. I was planning on water bath for 30 to 40 minutes ...
advice please :)

Comments (7)