SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taraleigh_gw

VERY steep hill in backyard...need suggestions pls

taraleigh
16 years ago

Hi there,

I am new to this website and posted this question in another forum... not realizing this one existed. I would greatly appreciate anyone's input into this situation... thank you!!!

My husband and I are buying a house that we love.... with the exception of the scary, very steep upwardly sloped back yard.

The backyard is small and for about 11 feet past the house it is totally flat and then it goes up to a very steep slope. The inspector felt it was probably a 60 degree slope....it is very high and would be extremely difficult to walk up. Right now it is mulched (as high as the mulch can stay) and has some shrubs, plants and trees on the top...but doesn't look that good.

Our concern is erosion. some of the trees on the top have their roots showing. The previous owners said it has always looked like this and don't feel it has been eroding...I am really concerned about roots showing... is this cause for concern?

There has been no water drainage problems in the basement in the 10 years since the house has been built. Thankfully despite this hill, water drainage hasn't been an issue... the basement seems dry....

I am concerned about erosion and about the unsightliness of the tree roots.

What can be done to stabilize this? would ground cover and plants with deep roots help stabilize this? I am afraid anyone working on this sandy soil could cause it to become even more eroded. Can this issue be fixed fairly inexpensively?

we don't have money or space for a retaining wall... this is our first home and everything we have is going into the downpayment... the backyard is very small so I don't think we could do terracing regardless.....

The house is great other than this one issue.... but I am worried about this. The soil seems loose and sandy in spots... I live in the northeast and don't have to worry much about landslides or earthquakes but it is still worrisome nonetheless.

I think the worst thing that could happen would be some erosion takes place and some dirt falls down to the patio. It is probably unlikely we could ever have damage to our house if the hill partially erodes... but I want to protect the land and ensure no drainage issues in the future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... I am a total novice about landscaping but eager and motivated to learn.

Thanks...

Here is a link to pictures, but unfortunately the pictures don't really convey the feel of this lot. It feels much steeper in person....from the patio level.

Here is a link that might be useful: steep hill

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH