SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
c9pilot

Need tropical landscaping design ideas...(long)

c9pilot
14 years ago

We finally got the front of our house up to speed with new stucco and paint (the other three sides will wait until we replace the windows), and I need to completely landscape the front yard.

The problem is, I can't find any good books or websites that explain LANDSCAPE DESIGN. Sure, plenty that discuss which plants to choose, different kinds of walkways, use of decks in your design, how to build a pergola, and "unique" designs (mediterranean, formal, cottage, desert, herb, etc) blah blah blah, but none that straight out discuss how to DESIGN.

Here's where I stand: I have an L-shaped house. The garage sticks out towards the street, but the door faces sideways, IOW, the driveway curves from the road 90 degrees right into the garage, past the front door, which is only about 4 feet from the driveway (no front walk needed). So I have a skinny strip (roughly 10' wide) on the left side of the drive, and a large front yard in front of the garage (54' wide by 38' deep, but that includes 10' of city easement).

I'm looking for guidelines on where I should place trees to look nice and frame the house and how to shape the beds to look nice. I've already got most plants and trees picked out, I just need to figure out where to put them.

I have driven around our neighborhood but there are only a few homes with the side-entry garages like mine, and none of them are nicely landscaped. Most have added more driveway to curve back to the street so they just have a little island that they have landscaped to drive around. And, the vast majority of the yards in my neighborhood are mostly grass, while I'm hoping to nearly or completely eliminate grass (and mowing)!

So what I'm hoping for here are any resources (books or websites) that you can recommend, or post any nice tropical front yard landscapes that you like. Or, if you can recommend a neighborhood in St Pete/Clearwater that I can drive around for ideas, I'd do that, too!

So you know my tastes, I'm looking at use of edibles (mango, avocado, banana, citrus, starfruit maybe if there's room) and palms (foxtails, Christmas, coconut), and non-hedge-like tropical plants (cannas, gingers, heliconia, ti, birds, zanadu, cardboard, hibiscus, pineapple, etc - variegated foliage I love). Hoping to keep some small plumeria, too. I don't want anything that has to be trimmed into a hedge, square or round or anything although I know hibiscus needs a lot of work, the flowers are worth it. I don't mind light pruning and shaping, but anything remotely like a hedge is a no-go!

I know this is not very plant-specific like most of the posts, but I'm just hoping there's a landscaping guru on here that might understand the anguish that I'm experiencing! I've been drawing this out over and over and I keep getting stuck where to put the trees! (I'm pretty sure the big edibles will line the sides of the property, but where to put the palms?) Appreciate any help!

R/Lisa, a newbie gardener and only in FL less than 2 years, having moved around in the Navy and never having a chance to settle in and actually landscape before!

Comments (8)