SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
austin1227

Construction Waste - A RANT

austin1227
16 years ago

I am a little worked up today. I work for a national builder. We are a wonderful private company that really cares about our employees, customers, and vendors. But, we have a strict no salvage policy. As a result, we end up throwing away a lot of building materials that could be used in so many positive ways rather than filling up the landfills.

Trash is broken down into three categories. 1) Damaged on site material 2) Excess material that can be returned for credit 3) Excess material that is not cost effective to return.

Category one and two are clearly the design of our no salvage policy (we can't have workers damaging good just so they can take them home, and we will return anything we can to the vendor for cash).. But it is category three that kills me. I throw away about a cube and a half of block from every home, and every driveway has pavers left over that eventually end up in the dumpster. It is a frustrating situation.. Anyone out there have similar wasteful stories?

So, why is this bothering me today? My boss called me out on my new concrete block compost pile when he came over to my house this weekend.. I know the policy, but I hate it!!

Comments (13)