SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glen3a

Question re pot size when repotting hibiscus.

glen3a
17 years ago

Hi there,

I usually frequent the 'far north' and other forums, but have a question relating to hibiscus. For the past couple of summers I have kept a small hibiscus on my north deck where it gets 4 hours of morning sun. It's done fairly well. Even the occasional cool night in summer doesn't faze it. One question though, if I gave it full sun in theory would it produce even more blossoms? I assume they prefer sheltered warm spots as opposed to wide open and windy? I did notice that even in the low light of winter (when indoors) it would throw out the occassional bloom).

For Mother's day I purchased a hibiscus 'standard' for my Mom. After keeping it on my back deck for a few days, I fell in love and loved the tropical look (it's about 5 feet tall) so I bought one for myself. After researching on this forum, someone mentioned that a common type sold at big box stores (home depot) was one called 'brilliant' with the single red flowers so I feel good that at least I have something to go by.

It's very pot bound so I need to transplant it for both increased root space and to help anchor it. For this reason I chose a heavy sturdy pot. One question about pot sizes: is it true that you shouldn't go up by more than one or two pot sizes when transplanting because they prefer to be slightly potbound? One site mentioned that they bloom better as a result. I would hate to transplant it into a pot that is too big and then it spends all summer producing new growth but no blossoms.

Regards and Thanks,

Glen

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider