SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggersmagoo

BT for any caterpillars on basil, tomatoes?

maggersmagoo
16 years ago

I have three tomato plants and a basil plant in my garden. I planted them 4 weeks ago. The first few weeks, the basil plant was getting small to medium size holes in the leaves.

In the last few days, the basil leaves are now being devoured, and one of the tomato plants (not even the one closest to the basil plant) is getting holes in the leaves.

After researching on this forum, I went out late last night with a flashlight and found a caterpillar on the tomato plant that had the holes in it. It was about 2 inches long, but it did not look like the tomato horned worm pictures I have seen. There was nothing on the basil plant, though it looked like something had eaten more of the basil plant even since the afternoon.

I plucked the bugger off and flung him over the cinderblock wall into the neighbors yard.

So my question is should I try some BT, even though I don't know what type of caterpillar it was? Or since there didn't seem to be that many (I only found the one on all four plants), can I keep up just by plucking them off?

Comments (4)